January 11, 2009
Source: Audi of America
VERSION DATE: January 11, 2009
INFO IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE
Key Summary Points
- The freshened Audi A3 launched in September 2008 (2009 MY).
- The 2009 model year freshening expanded the A3 lineup with quattro all-wheel drive on the efficient 2.0 TFSI engine (200 hp / 207 lb-ft torque).
- Audi A3 moves into a market space presently unoccupied in the luxury segment, that of a highly efficient diesel small luxury car.
- Audis TDI clean diesel technology expands the A3 lineup in the direction of efficiency, providing over 40 mpg highway.
- A3 holds a unique position in the Audi family, targeting buyers who need a small but versatile package without sacrificing luxury and sportiness.
- A3 2.0 TDI is Audis second U.S. TDI clean diesel announcement. Audi Q7 TDI is expected to be on sale at U.S. dealers around April 2009.
- A3 is already rated a Top Safety Pick by the IIHS for top frontal/side/rear crashes (source iihs.org).
- Key competitors are BMW 1-series, Mini Cooper S, Volvo C30 and S40, and now Toyota Prius and Honda Insight.
- Audi signature LED daytime running lights with optional xenon lights.
- Unique tail lights with LED light guides
- Enhanced exterior and interior design, new wheel program.
- Versatile interior design, providing unmatched utility for urban environments.
- Sporty McPherson front suspension and multilink independent rear suspension for high lateral rigidity.
- Speed-sensitive electromechanical power steering
- High rigidity due to the use of tailored blanks for adapting steel grade and thickness to the material stresses.
- 2.0 TDI clean diesel engine with S tronic (dual clutch) and front-wheel drive
Specifications: 140 hp, 236 lb-ft torque, in-line 4 cylinder turbocharged clean diesel with common rail direct injection and piezoelectric injectors
50-state legal, with no after-treatment system required
Exclusively with S tronic (dual clutch) transmission with front-wheel drive
Standard Equipment Features
- Hill-hold assist (already standard on S tronic models)
- Sirius satellite radio – standard on all
- Leather seating surfaces – standard on all
- Leather steering wheel – standard
- Aux audio input standard
- Dual-zone climate control
- 17 alloy wheels
Launch Timing and Pricing
- USA Audi A3 2.0 TDI clean diesel goes on sale by the first quarter of 2010 as a 2010 model year vehicle. Pricing is expected to be released close to the time of the U.S. launch.
- Discussion Forum: Audi A3