|January 9, 2012
Source: Audi of America
· Coupé features 450 horsepower, high-revving V8 engine
· Newly-developed center differential for quattro drivetrain
· RS 5 on display at North American International Auto Show
Detroit, Mich., – The 2013 Audi RS 5 makes its U.S. debut this week at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. A classically elegant coupé with unbridled power, the Audi RS 5 features a high-revving 4.2-liter V8 with 450 horsepower and a seven-speed S tronic transmission with launch control program. An innovative crown-gear center differential in the quattro drivetrain transmits power to all four wheels, providing exceptional traction and grip for increased performance.
The 4.2 FSI delivers 450 horsepower at 8,250 rpm and between 4,000 and 6,000 rpm, and transmits a maximum of 317 lb-ft of torque. The engine propels the RS 5 on to an electronically-governed top speed of 174 mph.
The ultra-powerful RS 5 features an optimized engine and drivetrain, on-demand oil pump, and energy-recovery system that conserves energy during coasting and braking. The standard seven-speed S tronic in the RS 5, with its high efficiency ratio and its high-geared top speed, also enhances efficiency.
The RS 5 can operate in fully automatic mode, or the driver can shift via the gear selector or shift paddles on the steering wheel. Audi drive select system adjusts the vehicle’s transmission shift characteristics, throttle response, dynamic steering and sports differential. The driver can select from auto, comfort, dynamic and individual Audi drive select settings.
In the new RS 5, Audi unveils the next generation of quattro: a crown-gear differential.
The self-locking crown-gear center differential is compact and lightweight, and attains a high efficiency ratio. Thanks to its package of plates, the differential can widely vary the distribution of torque between the front and rear axles. If necessary, up to 70 percent can flow to the front or as much as 85 percent toward the tail end. The 40:60 ratio of the standard rear-biased configuration ensures sporty handling.
This new differential operates in conjunction with electronic torque vectoring. As a perfect complement to the new quattro drivetrain, the sport differential at the rear axle is standard.
The RS 5 chassis exhibits a sporty configuration and renders the body 0.8 inches lower than that of the Audi A5. The 19-inch alloy wheels fitted with 265/35 tires are standard with an exclusive 10-spoke forged design. The RS 5 optionally comes with 20-inch wheels and 275/30 tires.
The brake system employs powerful and internally ventilated discs, which measure 14.4 inches in diameter at the front axle. The high-gloss black brake calipers bearing RS logos are made of aluminum; the front calipers are fitted with eight pistons each. Audi can optionally fit the front axle with ceramic carbon-fiber brake discs measuring 15 inches in diameter. The electronic stability control (ESC) integrates a sport mode and can be switched off entirely.
The RS 5 exudes an athletic and powerful identity; its classically beautiful coupé styling dazzles with new and clear-cut accents. Adaptive xenon plus headlights boasting a sweeping strip of LED daytime running lights are standard. The oversized air inlets for the engine, front brakes and the radiators are bordered by striking contours. The newly designed bumper tapers downward into a splitter and is available in Aluminum-optic paint.
The flared fenders with the crisp horizontal upper edges are reminiscent of a classic Audi, namely the all-wheel-drive pioneer Audi quattro. The side sills bear angular caps; the trim strips on the single-frame grille and near the side windows as well as the outside mirrors’ covers feature a matte aluminum look. Eight different paint finishes are available.
The tail end is dominated by two oval exhaust pipes integrated within the bumper. A large diffuser protrudes prominently upward. The spoiler in the tailgate automatically extends at a speed of 75 mph and retracts at 50 mph.
The extensively clad underbody of the RS 5 integrates air vents for the seven-speed
S tronic and front brakes. At highway speeds, the aerodynamic characteristics of the RS 5 generate downforce to further enhance stability.
The vehicle’s dynamically elegant styling extends to the interior, with power-adjustable sport seats with pronounced side sections and integrated head restraints, finished in Fine Nappa Leather or optional leather / Alcantara®. The flat-bottom steering wheel has a substantial rim and is covered with perforated leather. The instruments have black gauges and white lettering with distinctive scaling. The driver information system integrates a lap timer for recording circuit times and an oil-temperature gauge. Just like the optional MMI navigation systems’ monitor, it displays an RS greeting upon ignition.
The interior is black and the decorative inlays are made of carbon fiber. The pedals, the footrests, and the optional MMI navigation systems’ control buttons gleam thanks to their
aluminum look. Moreover, the door handles consist of two slim strips – typical of Audi RS models. Aluminum inserts adorn the door sill trims and RS 5 logos lend dynamic highlights to the interior.
Sales of the Audi RS 5 will begin in the spring.
· 4.2 FSI with 450 horsepower and 317 lb-ft of torque
· High-revving concept delivers and incredible 108 hp/liter
· Top speed electronically limited to 174 mph
· Optional sport exhaust with black tailpipe trims and active acoustic flaps
· Seven-speed S tronic transmission with launch control program
· Newly-developed crown-gear center differential for quattro® drivetrain is lightweight and attains a high efficiency ratio
· Sporty configuration that renders the body 0.8 inches lower than Audi A5
· 19-inch forged alloy wheels fitted with 265/35 tires; optional 20-inch wheels and 275/30 tires
· Standard Audi drive select with sports rear differential
· Beautiful coupé styling with new more muscular hood and RS-specific grille, splitter, diffuser and bumpers
· Adaptive xenon plus headlights with LED daytime running lights and taillights standard
· Flared fenders with the crisp horizontal upper edges are reminiscent of a classic Audi quattro sport
· Sport seats with integrated head rests in Fine Nappa Leather
· RS-design carbon fiber inlays
· Audi adaptive cruise control
· Audi side assist
· Audi advanced key with red starter ring
· Audi MMI Navigation plus with Audi connect™
· Bang & Olufsen Sound System (14 speakers, 505 watts)
· Audi dynamic steering