January 28, 2009
Source: Audi of America
VERSION DATE: January 28, 2009
INFO IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE
Key Summary Points
- The Audi Q5 builds on the foundation established by the Audi Q7, and strengthens the brands presence in the SUV segment.
- The Audi Q5 will be offered in the USA in March 2009 (2009 model year) with a 3.2 V6 FSI direct injection engine, quattro® all wheel drive, and a six speed Tiptronic transmission.
- The Audi Q5 will be the first Audi offering with Generation 3 MMI, and navigation with real-time traffic information.
Competitive Advantage Summary
- Best-in-class city fuel economy of 18 mpg with 23 mpg highway (amongst AWD traditional powertrain competitors).
- Best-in-class 4,400 pound towing capacity (most have 3,500 lbs or less).
- Longest wheelbase in its class.
- Audi drive select option (unique to segment) helps the driver customize engine/throttle mapping, transmission shift characteristics, steering, and suspension.
- 3-zone climate control standard (the only competitor in the segment w/ rear zone climate control).
- Standard reclining / sliding rear seats.
- 40/60 split rear seats fold from levers located inside cargo area.
- Ski/snowboard pass-through within the split fold rear seats (unique amongst German luxury competitors).
- Clamshell shape trunk opening allows low and wide rear cargo entry point, and a very clean design execution for exterior rear lighting area.
- Standard 12-way power front seats with leather seating surfaces throughout.
- Innovative ESP system recognizes when roof rail cross bars are in place and adjusts accordingly.
- Electronic dipstick allows customers to check the oil from inside the cabin.
- 3G MMI shows latest evolution of 3D navigation.
- The Audi Q5 belongs to the IHG Small SUV segment, which is forecasted to grow dramatically over the next few years as new entrants arrive and customers replace their luxury sedans for luxury crossovers.
- Key competitors are the Acura RDX, BMW X3, Infiniti EX35, Land Rover LR2 HSE, current generation Lexus RX350, Mercedes Benz GLK350, and the upcoming Volvo XC60.
- Based on the current Audi A4 platform.
- Sporty proportions and muscular stance due to long wheelbase and wide body design.
- Reduced front overhang adds to visual sportiness.
- Elimination of roof joint strip, which lends to a high visual quality and minimized airflow noises.
- Typical Audi interior design is modern and sophisticated, with clear attention to detail
- Standard 18 wheels (235/60 all-season tires), full body monochromatic paint, LED taillights, and aluminum exterior trim.
- New modular chassis architecture with longer wheelbase and wider track
- Blending four cars into one, Audi drive select adapts the dynamics of the Audi Q5 to suit the driving experience you desire. The system controls the adaptive suspension, the dynamic steering, the transmission shift characteristics, and the engine response. Four operating modes are available: Comfort, Automatic, Dynamic, and Individual, which allows a custom response profile.
- Consistent use of high-strength and ultra-high strength steel grades for a highly rigid occupant cell with optimized deformation properties.
- Hood and tailgate made from aluminum for lower weight and reduced opening and closing forces.
- Extensive aluminum suspension componentry to reduce unsprung weight and enhance steering feel.
- Compact trapezoidal-link rear suspension which enables a low cargo load floor and high luggage capacity.
- 3.2L V6 specifications:
FSI direct injection
Audi Valvelift System (AVS) variable intake valve lift
270hp @ 6500 rpm
243 lb-ft @3000 rpm
Track: front 63.7 inches / rear 63.5 inches
0-60 mph in 6.7 seconds (USA estimated)
- quattro® AWD latest generation with asymmetric rear-biased torque split (40/60)
- Tiptronic fast-shifting six-speed automatic transmission
- Towing preparation standard; available through dealer
- All U.S. cars have towing preparation standard, which includes trailer brake controller wiring for use with trailers over 1500 lbs.
- A trailer hitch receiver for the Audi Q5 is available through all authorized Audi dealers with a total capacity of 4,400 lbs.
- Audi Q5 is best-in-class regarding towing capacity.
Acura RDX = 1500 lbs
BMW X3 = 3500 lbs
Land Rover LR2 = 3500 lbs
Lexus RX = 3500 lbs
Mercedes GLK = 3500 lbs
Infiniti EX = towing not recommended
Volvo XC60 = n/a
Innovations and available features
- MMI operating logic standard (with central display screen)
- Audi side assist
- Dynamic ESP configuration (on road, off road, and roof cargo configurations)
- Power tailgate
- Audi Intelligent Key stores service information in the key
- Audi advanced key keyless entry and starting
- Audi music interface world renowned iPod connectivity
- Bluetooth hands-free telephone interface
- Mercury-free Audi xenon plus headlamps with LED daytime running lights
- LED tail lamps
- Audi parking system advanced with rearview camera
- Electromechanical parking brake
- HDD-based Navigation system with real-time traffic information
- Generation 3 MMI system
- Thermo heated/cooled cupholder
- Bang & Olufsen 505W 14-speaker sound system
Launch Timing and Pricing
- USA Audi Q5 goes on sale in March 2009 as a 2009 model year vehicle, with pricing in line with its competitors. It will be built in Ingolstadt, Germany.
- Related Content: Audi of America Sets 2009 Model-Year Prices for All-New Q5 Crossover
- Discussion Forum: Audi Q5