|September 01, 2010
Source: Audi of America
- August 2010 sales of 9,182 vehicles rose 14% above August 2009, topping previous August record set in 2003
- Consumers continue to demand TDI clean diesel vehicles, as both the Audi Q7 TDI and A3 TDI posted significant sales mix gains in the most recent month
- Q5 crossover sales increased 78.8% from August 2009 sales to set an all-time record
HERNDON, Va., Sep 1, 2010 – Audi today maintained its 2010 momentum with record August U.S. sales, which surpassed the prior August record set in 2003 by more than 900 vehicles. August 2010 sales of Audi cars and SUVs climbed 14% compared to August 2009, and marked the best monthly sales performance since May of this year.
The August results keep the German luxury automaker on track to set a vehicle sales record in the U.S. by year-end. The existing annual sales record for Audi in the U.S. is 93,506 vehicles sold in 2007.
Overall, Audi sold 9,182 luxury cars and SUVs in August 2010, topping the previous August record of 8,057 vehicles sold in August 2009. Additionally, the automaker posted steady quarter-to-quarter sales increases of more than 5% and nearly 15% over June 2010 and July 2010, respectively.
The August 2010 results were buoyed by the continued extraordinary consumer response by year-over-year sales increases for the Audi Q5 crossover and Audi Q7. For the month, Audi sold 2,675 Q5 vehicles, a 78.8% increase over the 1,496 vehicles sold in August 2009. The Q5 line also enjoyed more than a 25% August 2010 sales jump over July 2010. For August 2010, Audi reported Q7 sales of 560, a 42.1% increase above the 394 vehicles sold a year earlier.
Through the first two months of the second half of this year, Audi has enjoyed significant sales growth. That gain is largely bolstered by continued consumer demand for the Audi A3, which recorded both a 17.7% uptick in sales for August 2010 and 74.8% calendar year to date.
Audi is in a desirable position in the luxury vehicle market as we continue to post strong U.S. sales, said Audi of America President Johan de Nysschen. All indications continue to point toward 2010 winding up as the best year Audi has ever enjoyed in the U.S. market.
Audi sales highlights August 2010
- August 2010 ranks as the best August in Audi of America history.
- Audi sales continue on track to set a U.S. record in 2010; first-half 2010 sales of 48,440 topped the record of 45,711 set in 2007.
- Five fastest growing Audi U.S. markets in August: Washington, up 60%; Miami, up 55%; Northwest U.S., up 44%; Texas, up 43%, and Northern California, up 33%.
Audi Q5 and Audi Q7 August sales and news notes
- Audi Q5 sales in August set an all-time record.
- Audi Q5 sales up 78.8% for August and 74.7% CYTD; Audi Q7 sales up 42.1% for August, down 4.4% CYTD, due to tight inventories.
Audi A3 and Audi A6 August sales and news notes
- The Audi A6 luxury sedan continued sales resurgence: up 29.2% in August; up 30% CYTD.
- Audi A3 sales rose 17.7% in August; up 74.8% CYTD.
Audi TDI August sales and news notes
- Audi U.S. consumers continue to embrace Audi clean diesel technology in Audi Q7 TDI and Audi A3 TDI.
- Audi Q7 TDI accounted for 66% of all Q7 August sales.
- Audi A3 TDI August sales mix of 60% increases 14 percentage points over July 2010.
Audi Certified Pre-Owned sales and news notes
- August 2010 CPO sales fell 6.1% to 2,479 Audi vehicles from 2,640 a year earlier.
- Audi CPO sales CYTD were off 11.4%to 18,750 vehicles from 21,172 a year earlier.