December 2, 2008
Source: Audi AG
Key Points Summary
- The A5 product line is now expanded to include Cabriolet models with three powerful and fuel-efficient powertrains (2.0 TFSI 4 cylinder, 3.2 FSI V6, 3.0 TFSI V6 with supercharged technology).
- A5 Cabriolet features ground-breaking soft top technology for elegant styling, superior room and storage space, and superb driving dynamics.
- Unique 50/50 split rear folding seats allows maximum storage flexibility
- Audi Drive Select (adjustable engine/throttle mapping, suspension damping, and dynamic steering) is a benchmark in the segment and industry.
- New optional quattroSport rear differential enhances agility.
- USA market launch for A5/S5 Cabriolet is Fall 2009, as 2010 model year.
- A5/S5 Cabriolet replaces the A4/S4 Cabriolet.
- A5/S5 Cabriolet interior and exterior distinctive features include:
New rear LED lighting
Sport seats with unique interior color offerings
Cloth convertible top features Audi Acoustic Roof technology for a quite interior.
- Typical Audi interior design is modern and sophisticated, with clear attention to detail, including 1 liter bottle holders in each door.
- S5 Aluminum-optic exterior accents include front and rear diffuser blades, mirror housings, and four exhaust pipes.
- Modular Longitudinal Chassis architecture is the foundation for a benchmark sport sedan.
Extensive use of new ultra-high-strength steels increase rigidity of the body while also reducing weight.
Repositioned clutch / torque-converter allows more forward position of front axle.
- Better agility and turn in
- Better axle load distribution
- Shorter front overhang
- Longer wheelbase = more comfortable ride
Repositioned steering rack, lower and closer to the wheel carriers lowers center of gravity and provides more direct steering control/feedback.
Sporty proportions and muscular stance enhanced due to longer, wider, and lower dimensions.
Reduced front overhang adds to visual sportiness.
Powertrain and Performance
- The following power train configurations are offered in USA:
- A5 Cabriolet 2.0 TFSI specifications
FSI direct injection with turbocharging
Audi Valvelift System
211 hp 258 lb-ft torque
quattro® all-wheel drive (standard with 40/60 rear biased torque split) or FrontTrak front-wheel drive
Tiptronic 6 speed automatic transmission for quattro model or Multitronic continuously variable transmission for the FrontTrak model
Top speed 130 mph
- A5 Cabriolet 3.2 FSI V6 specifications:
FSI direct injection
Audi Valvelift System
265 hp 243 lb-ft torque
quattro all-wheel drive with 40/60 rear torque bias
Tiptronic 6 speed automatic transmission
Top speed 130 mph
- S5 Cabriolet 3.0 TFSI supercharged V6 specifications:
S5 Coupe manual and 6-speed Tiptronic 354 hp / 325 lb-ft V8 continue for another year through the end of model year 2010; 2011 S5 Coupe will have 3.0 TFSI supercharger with 333 hp / 325 lb-ft, and manual and 7-speed S tronic transmissions.
FSI direct injection with intercooled supercharger
333hp 325 lb-ft
quattro® all-wheel drive with 40/60 rear torque bias
S tronic 7 speed double-clutch automatic transmission
Top speed 155 mph
- Latest generation of quattro® all-wheel drive is employed, with asymmetric rear-biased torque split (40% front / 60% rear under nominal conditions).
- S5 Cabriolet only: New available quattroSport rear differential dynamically varies torque between the rear wheels.
- Fuel economy is significantly improved over A4 Cabriolet .
- Rear 50/50 split folding seats in A5/S5 Cabriolet (not available with competitors)
- Cloth convertible top for elegant styling, superior interior and storage space, and low weight penalty (for better driving dynamics)
- New head-level heating system with heated/cooled front seats
- MMI operating logic standard with central display screen
- Audi Drive Select varies the engine, transmission, steering, and suspension damping characteristics to suit the drivers preferences
- Audi Intelligent Key stores service information in the key
- Advanced Key keyless entry and starting
- Bluetooth hands-free telephone interface
- Bi-xenon headlamps with LED daytime running lights
- Audi Parking System rear with rearview camera
- Electromechanical parking brake
- Hard-drive-based Navigation system with Audi third-generation MMI.
- Audi Side Assist lane change assistant
- Bang & Olufsen 505W sound system
Launch Timing and Pricing
- World auto show debut is Geneva auto show in March, 2009
- USA A5/S5 Cabriolet with all mentioned engine/transmission combinations goes on sale in Fall 2009 (as a 2010 model year vehicles).
- U.S. pricing to be announced later.
- Photo Galleries: A5 Cabriolet & S5 Cabriolet
- Related Content: The Audi A5 / S5 Cabriolet – the Joy of Open-Top Driving
- A5 / S5 Discussion Forum