October 10, 2008
Source: Audi of America
- The redesigned 2009 A4 gains the coveted U.S. government 5-Star safety label for frontal, side and rollover crashes
- Results affirm the strong commitment to safety at Audi
- Top crash safety marks add to A4’s segment-leading benefits, including fuel-economy, performance and interior roominess
The redesigned 2009 Audi A4 luxury sport sedan gained further validation of its segment-leading qualities by earning the U.S. governments highest crashworthiness and rollover safety rating.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said the A4 achieved the coveted 5-Star designation based on its performance in the New Car Assessment Program, or NCAP. U.S. law requires all passenger cars to pass a 30 mph frontal crash test and a 33.5 mph side crash test. But the NCAP tests involve crashes that are conducted at 5 mph above the required test speeds providing additional consumer safety information. NHTSA then gives ratings of one star for the worst performers to five stars for the best models, such as the Audi A4.
Unparalleled safety is a cornerstone of Audis new vehicle development and we are thrilled to see the A4 earn top marks in one of the toughest crash testing programs in the world, said Audi of America Inc. Executive Vice President Johan de Nysschen. Add this to other elements, including segment-leading fuel economy, engine performance, luxury features and size, which all prove the 2009 A4 is at the head of its class.
The 2009 Audi A4 officially went on sale to American luxury car buyers in late September. The A4 offers advanced safety features and accident-prevention technologies in addition to a significantly stiffer and smoother body shell to protect motorists and passengers. Among the key safety features:
- Front, side and side-curtain airbags are standard equipment in every A4.
- The available dynamic steering system helps stabilize the vehicle several times a second when it detects the car is exceeding its capabilities.
- Available Adaptive cruise control detects a vehicle ahead of the A4 and gently reduces the cars speed as the distance narrows. Once the road clears, the system slowly accelerates back to the set cruise control speed.
The A4 also offers superior handling due to a front track that is 2.5 inches wider than the closest competing BMW model and nearly an inch wider than the closest Lexus. It also offers more front row shoulder and head room than competing luxury models and a smoother ride helped by the longest wheelbase in its class. The A4 also features a new 2.0-liter TFSI engine that generates 211 hp and 258-lbs-ft. of torque while getting 15 percent better fuel economy than the turbocharged engine it replaces. The improved 3.2-liter engine produces 265 hp and 243 lbs-ft of torque with a 10 percent gain in fuel economy. The new engines are paired with an all-new 6-speed transmission to provide precise shifting and fuel efficiency.
More information on the performance of the Audi A4 in the federal crash tests is available at http://www.safercar.org. Additional information on the A4 can be found at http://www.audiusanews.com.
ABOUT AUDI OF AMERICA
Audi of America Inc. and its 270 dealers offer a full line of German-engineered luxury vehicles. The Audi line up is one of the freshest in the industry with 23 models, including 12 models launched during model years 2008 and 2009. Audi is among the most successful brands globally. Last year AUDI AG recorded its 12th consecutive record year for sales and profit growth. Visit www.audiusa.com or www.audiusanews.com for more information regarding Audi vehicle and business issues.
- Discussion Forum: Audi A4 (B8)
- Photo Gallery: Audi A4 Sedan
- Photo Gallery: Audi A4 Avant