2004 A4 1.8t quattro starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 A4 1.8t quattro starting issues

About a week again I tried to start my car, it cranks but didn't turn over. After a few more tries it finally started. Then it runs for a second, the rpm's drop and it dies. I thought it was a fuel pump issue, just replaced the fuel pump, it worked better for a little bit, now it's doing the same thing. Anyone have an idea on what else I should check?
Old 02-23-2016, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Horn
About a week again I tried to start my car, it cranks but didn't turn over. After a few more tries it finally started. Then it runs for a second, the rpm's drop and it dies. I thought it was a fuel pump issue, just replaced the fuel pump, it worked better for a little bit, now it's doing the same thing. Anyone have an idea on what else I should check?
When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?
Are you getting the proper fuel presser at the fuel rail?
And so you know your statement " it cranks but didn't turn over " is a bit misleading as there the same thing.

If you can get your hands on a fuel presser Gage eater a rental or a friend may have one you can use.
Install it and turn your key ON for say 5sec then off do this 2 to 3 times leave the key on do not crank/turn over the engine and see what you have for psi.
Now you will need help with the next part or a cam set up to record the fuel presser Gage.
Now start the car the fuel presser Gage should not drop more than 5 psi from ware it was be for you tried to start the car.
If it drops down past that or worse gos down to all most 0 psi I would say you have a plugged line or fuel filter.

Now your going to say
"I replaced the fuel pump, it worked better for a little bit"
well yes if it is a plugged line or fuel filter it will help as it's New and can push the fuel beater but it will not fix it.

It's a shot in the dark based off the info you have provided but it's ware I would start

I hope this helps you and pleas post back your findings and let us know what the problem was