Help with busted timing belt please. What work has to be done?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 06:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with busted timing belt please. What work has to be done?

My timing belt busted at a relatively low speed. There are 4 bent exhaust valves but no visible damage to the cylinder head. This is going to be covered by Audi USA under their extended warranty because of the timing belt settlement in '08.
Here is my problem. Dealer insists there is nothing wrong with the cylinder head.
In talking with 3 other mechanics (2 of them different Audi dealerships), they all are pretty adamant that you cannot see damage to a cylinder head and that it must be taken to a machine shop to measure tolerances and ensure it is within spec.
Here is the weird part - My dealership (University Audi, Seattle) admits that some damage can be non-visible - but they still declared the head as good, "visually". This has been a circular argument but they are refusing to machine the head claiming it isn't necessary.
Can anyone educate me if their approach is reasonable? The dealership says, it starts and runs fine and has no error codes - so it is fine.
It is my understanding from other mechanics that a head out of true will result in lower performance, gas mileage, longer term damage to the engine, HP...
My dealership calls it good because it runs.
I know this is the opposite argument people are normally having with a mechanic - but they claim the additional work is not necessary.
I believe it is only because they are paying the bill. Can anyone educate me and if you can point me in a direction for information or quotable sources so I can have some ammunition? (or tell me to calm down - it will be fine
Old 07-16-2014, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

What year is your A4? My 2008 A4 timing belt snapped at 59K miles and bent valves and Audi USA is not willing to pay $1 to help fix it!
Old 07-16-2014, 08:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

2001 TTR actually. It was part of the class action suite over timing belts and tensioners and all damage caused by a failure is supposed to be covered. We are simply arguing about what constitutes damage. Just got off the phone with a machine shop and they reiterated you can't see problems with a head - that it must be vacuum tested minimally.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We have done plenty of 1.8T and 2.8 valve jobs after broken timing belts. Have not had a single one with damage to the head. I wouldn't worry about it really. My own Passat bent 15 valves and i threw in used ones from a junk head (seized cam) we had laying around and it runs great.

And really, its a rubber belt. its a 2001. Most shops will say 7-8 years is a good interval on timing belts, rubber does deteriorate. Your at almost 14 years. No wonder it broke...Im confused at why you seem to think Audi it responsible for you not maintaining your car lol.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 07-19-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Prospeeder- the maintenance service interval on these belts (at least for the B7) is 110k with no time measurement. My car is 6yo and has 59k. I'm confused why you think Audi would NOT be responsible for this??!
Old 07-28-2014, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesqa
Prospeeder- the maintenance service interval on these belts (at least for the B7) is 110k with no time measurement. My car is 6yo and has 59k. I'm confused why you think Audi would NOT be responsible for this??!
Because I meant that to the Original poster with a nearly 15 year old 1.8T, not you and your very low mile newer car lol. Yes for the belt to have an issue so soon for you is Absurd. See if you can get any help with it from Audi for sure. You are correct, they do not have a time measurement, but that doesnt mean a rubber belts goes forever.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 07-28-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Went to Audi corporate even wrote to the president- they are offering $0 to repair it but a few bucks towards a new car. It's really almost unconscionable! Why would I buy a new car when they won't offer even $1 to fix mine??