Misfires? Rough idle.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfires? Rough idle.

Alright so heres the story...
I was given this 1995 A6 wagon, when i got it the guy said he messed up the timing belt and bent a valve, so the car sat for almost 2 years. Luckily the timing wasnt far off because no valves were bent and i was able to time then engine using the proper tools (Locking bar, and crank holding pin). The car fired up at first with no misses then shortly after started rough idling. Im hoping this is bad gas, because like i said the car sat for two years, and i have only been able to pour in 2 gallons of fresh premium. Does this sound like a gas related problem or could i somehow be out of time still? Sorry im a noob here and i hope this makes some kind of sense
Old 08-14-2016, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

I hope you did a compression test to be sure a valve was not bent and then the cam timing reset in an attempt to get the engine running.

Assuming your compression test is good..check your fuel flow and volume..the Bentley (you really need one of those) shows the steps.

I got a low mileage A6 C4 Avant that sat for seven years. It had a new fuel pump and relay but poor fuel flow..because they could not figure out the corroded fuses for the fuel pump and multi-function switch behind the passenger side lower kick panel..once cleaned up the fuel pump had good 12v and the car ran fine.

There was rust in the fuel tank from sitting which need to be removed and several fuel filters over the next 2000 miles..car runs fine.

Check fuel flow..check 12v at the fuel pump..change the spark plugs..
Old 08-15-2016, 02:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I checked valves all good compression. Timing is dead on, my dad has a a timing light and some other little device (drawing a blank on what it is called.) I'm gonna see if I can siphon out all the old gas and fill it with new gas and replace the fuel filter tomorrow and see if that does any good. The misfires aren't constant either they happen randomly and sometimes not at all, I haven't driven it further than around the block though considering it doesn't have good plates yet so I'm basing this off of it just idling in the driveway and driving around the block. I also replaced all the spark plugs if that's of any relevance. I'm a bit tired right now so if this is kinda nonsensical I apologize.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If compression tested good on all of them. Then your going to have to start with the basics. Ignition parts, spark plugs, ignition wires, the central coil. Also as mentioned all the fuel system working properly. Also these engines are very sensitive to air leaks and vacuum leaks. So any broken hoses, disconnected crankcase breather parts (tubes from the valve covers to the intake) the boot from the maf to the throttle body ripped, broken, not tight. Does the Check engine light ever come on? Does it come on with the key in the ON position? If it doesnt, somebody probably took the bulb out. Try checking faults and clearing them, and driving the car, seeing if any come back.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I am new to this but, my 97 was misfiring and running rough. Turned out to be an injector. I replace all 6 and no issues after that.