Overhaulin the ole 12v

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its all good CR no worries. My build isn't moving as fast as I'd hoped anyways. Im from home 4 days out of the week for work and when I'm home then its being dad to my boys and a honey do list a mile long. So needless to say the ole 12 v doesn't get the attention as my car would like.
Reading about your fresh install gets me pumped for mine though CR so keep it coming and post an installed pic.
Update on my build.. Got all the parts back from the machine shop. They did an awesome job cleaning all my misc. Little parts and and big stuff too. Got my heads they look great as well. Also got new set of rings that I've been waiting for to finish that last piston. So hopefully tomorrow I should be able to get the last piston in and put all the oil pans together. I'll keep ya posted and post pics
Old 01-28-2015, 01:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

cant wait to c yours im actually going to relocate my battery to the trunk this weekend, so ill get my camera out
Old 02-08-2015, 02:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default update. :)

Well gents finally got the parts I needed to make some progress on the 12v. Got all the misc parts back from getting cleaned. And they turned out awesome also got my heads back got to work. First I installed the last remaining piston and installed the upper and lower oil pans then did a little painting.

Long story but cartman is a work mascot and hes hanging out with me.

Finally starting to look like an engine.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The head bolts take a very specific socket that I had to borrow from a friend mechanic. Well it broke due to the high torque of the head bolts. So I was able to install one head and I have ordered new socket one for me and one for my buddy. That's my oldest boy aiden helping me out with the build.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by CRAZY_RUSSIAN
.... it starts to fall on its face after 4500 rpm
It shouldn't do that; my '96 charges right up to the 6,200 shift point with no sign of stopping. I've only had two issues that resulted in a "fall on it's face" at upper RPMs: My corragated plastic intake duct into the air box was shot, so a guy made me a sewn canvas one (looks and works better than it might seem). I began having a total fall-off in power at wide-open throttle, and discovered that my new fabric duct collapsed in on itself at high flow, due to improper attachment to the non-corragated parts of the duct. It's now pop-riveted on, no longer relying on adhesive.

The other problem was caused by the throttle position sensor, or full-throttle switch- I don't remember which, not being connected.

Keep in mind that loosing power at higher RPMs and throttle might be the result of fuel pressure dropping due to the flow; weak pump, restricted filter, and so forth. However, that would likely result in a lean code.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i replaced the O2 sensors and that seemed to help. but because there were some mods installed, now i need to adjust my AFR :-S
i also just discovered that my driver side head gasket is leaking coolant into the cylinder #5 (passenger side 1-3 all tested at 160+psi, and driver side went 4-140, 5-110, 6-140) and im blowing water out of the exhaust at cold start up. so FML.
but fuel pump was replaced recently, also got a new fuel pressure regulator coming in. I got a pair of new Bosch knock sensors ready for an install while im doing a head gasket.... so hopefully this will get resolved.....
Old 02-14-2015, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default almost there.

I hope you get your engine figured CR that sucks that your head gasket failed. Any idea as to why it didn't last that long? You just put that engine back together. Thought I'd post more updated pics.

Got the other head back from the machine shop. I need to gaset match the intake and then itll be ready for install.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

wow, someone got red happy but it actually looks good

on the H.G. i dont know yet, maybe i missed something, who knows. i also copper sprayed the head gaskets as an experiment, which makes me wonder if that has something to do with it
Old 02-21-2015, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

small update on my end, one of the ARP head studs backed off, so the rest was torqued to spec, but one was not. what makes me wonder if the stud stretched or if pulled the threads on the block....
to be continued....
Old 02-22-2015, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I would like to think that it didn't pull the threads out of that cast iron block but I guess anything is possible. Hopefully you can getaway with a new set of ARP studs and be done with it.

I finally got the timing gear I was after had it shipped over from Germany. Got it cheaper that

way than going to the dealer down the road. Ordered a new alternator and a few other things but here is a recent pic.

Quick Reply: Overhaulin the ole 12v