Overhaulin the ole 12v

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITS ALIVE

Well gents it took me about a year but I fired it up for the first time. It started right up and I had full oil pressure within 2 seconds. It ran like a bag of bolts for a little bit while the lifters filled with oil. I'm gonna try to post the video. Have to work out a couple kinks still. It had a rough idle and I troubleshot it down to at least one injector. I had used the old injectors so maybe its time for a new set. Either way I'm totally stoked it roared to life and it'll be purring like a kitty cat in no time. Thanks everybody for the input and advice on this build I'll keep ya posted on the new injectors and break in of my new 12v.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

She looks purdy!
Old 04-06-2015, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

you may want to give these guys a shot, i have not used their service, so cant say anything personally, but i have heard good things about them https://www.rceng.com/Fuel-Injector-Cleaning-P43C0.aspx
looks awesome man, glad to hear that you got it all back together and operational and yeah, my sounded like crap as well for the first 5-10 minutes because of the lifters
Old 04-17-2015, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

How is the project going?
Old 04-19-2015, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Im almost there Rusty, my lifters quieted down a little, but it was still pretty noisy after running it for awhile so I hit the books and by books I mean forums. And found that besides the two oil check valves under the valley pan there Are two oil limiter valves, one per head very accessible once you pull the valve covers. They are supposed to keep most of the oil pressure in the galleys feeding the lifters and only allow the rest into the cam area. If these valves are weak however they will allow to much pressure through and not feed enough to the lifters leaving them noisy.
So I replaced them and she quieted right down, I still have a rough idle which I suspect is due to a bad mass airflow sensor. That's what the ecm is telling me anyways. So I've got one coming along with a new idler pulley( its old and noisy ). I did take it for a spin down the road though and remembered why I love Audi's it was smooth and quiet, the exact opposite of what you'd expect from a 21 year old car.

One other thing, I'm replacing the two knock sensors with new ones and I've read that they have a specific torque and if torqued to much it can change how it detects predetonation or it may not even work at all. I however can't find this torque spec anywhere. Anybody out there know what this torque is?

Last edited by handsofftheaudi; 04-19-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The book says the knock sensors have a critical torque measurement of 20Nm or 15 Ft/Lbs..use your best torque wrench
Old 04-19-2015, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks rusty your the man. I'll use my Snap-on with a fresh calibration still on it. Thanks
Old 05-27-2015, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

How is the engine running now?
Old 06-06-2015, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Still a little rough rusty. I was able to pull all the codes from the computer and its flagging the mass air flow sensor, all 6 fuel injectors and the #2 O2 sensor control unit. The fuel injectors are new as well as the MAF, both O2 sensors are new but its not flagging the sensor its flagging the sensor control unit which I thought was inside of the ECU. Im not sure where to go with this now. It will fire up and idle but its rough I need to do a compression check to see if everything there is good. Part me wants to take it in and pay the $$$$$ for it to get running but afraid of how much that will cost me. Any suggestions?
Old 06-06-2015, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Check for air leaks around the intake manifold. Be sure all vacuum lines are correctly connected and not leaking too.

Voltage problem can cause fits and confusion too. Be sure all the grounds are clean and secure. Don't be afraid to add ground cables too..engine to chassis and battery to chassis, if there are any doubts.

Old or fresh fuel in the tank?

Clear the codes and go fill up the tank with the best high octane gas you can find and go drive the car for a few hours. You might find the faults were residual.

Quick Reply: Overhaulin the ole 12v