First I'll start with a little background before I dive into the nitty gritty. A few years ago I purchased a 1997 Audi A8 it was the 3.7 liter front wheel drive version and it did not take long for me to discover my overwhelming love for the Audi it was smooth, sexy, and at 17 years old it still had a stunning style to it. It also didn't take me long to grow my hate relationship with it. The good news is I'm an aircraft mechanic and when I'm not wrenching on Boeing 737's I'm at home wrenching on some project in my garage.
Sadly my first Audi love the A8 wasn't meeting my needs in that I wanted so badly to have a quattro. So I said my good buys and sold her to someone who fell just as hard as I did, and the search began for the next Audi.
My wife and two boys were down to the rock solid 97 Toyota 4Runner with over 250,000 miles on the clock and I was looking for the right commuter for me just back and forth to work is all I wanted but I wanted an Audi quattro, an older, and there hard to come by these days, but I finally found it.
She had been traded in at a corner lot dealership for something much newer and more fancy. At first they wanted 2000 dollars so I kept an eye on it and as the weeks went by the price kept dropping until it got to 500 so I called the guy. Said it ran great, and was in great shape, the power steering pump was shot so everybody that took it for a spin never bought it because Audi parts, labor, and labor, and did I mention labor are notoriously expensive to fix.
Needless to say I bought it, before though I asked the dealer why stop at 500 dollars and he said "cause that's what the junkyard will give me for it".
Its a 1994 100CS QUATTRO AVANT and under the hood rests the very loved 2.8 V6 12v. I fired it up drove home about an hour and a half without a glitch. And got to work!
I gave it a full tune up, plugs, wires, timing belt, water pump( found out the timing was off about 3 to 5 degrees from a previous T belt job) so I fixed all that and more, front lower suspension arms, what a #%$& those were. Got her registered and started commuting to work with it. It ran great above about 1000 Rpm but under that it had somewhat of a rough idle so checked a few things out, cleaned out my egr system, but to no avail. Then a compression check. I had low compression in 3 and 6. So In preparation of pulling the heads to get machined I drained the oil and found the really bad news. My oil looked great if it was a highly dense metallic brown paint. It had the most discouraging metallic shimmer to it, there was no doubt the ole 12 v was making metal and had to come out. That's the story next I will post pics of the progress from start to almost finished I will try to answer any questions the best I know how. I am by no means an expert and this is the first engine I have done a complete teardown and rebuild on. With that said, let the cuss words begin and the wrenches fly.