Puffs of white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puffs of white smoke

After doing a head gasket change and then changing the engine block coolant tube o-rings, I ran the engine in idle for 20 minutes without any problems. Then took the car around the block a few times without any problems. Decided to go fill her up since she was at E, so i drove over to the gas station and again drove around for a few more blocks around the house. That's when I started to notice it kind of sputter every 15 seconds or so. Pulled into the garage and noticed that it would puff out a cloud of white smoke when it sputtered with smoke slowly coming out in between.

So the question is if anybody has an idea as to what this might be?

Could it be that since I drove it and it warmed a bit more than being in idle, that it's burning off some of the carb cleaner and loose carb from when I cleaned out the throttle body, egr, heads, and anything else?

But that leaves me to question why it's puffing out a cloud of smoke every so often. Misfire in one of the cylinders? Should I check compression?

Just some background info, I didn't have the heads milled because displacement looked good according to specs. I can't help but think that coolant is mixing with oil and is burning off hence the white smoke. Cracked head? But seems unlikely. Then again, you never know. Maybe I'll go around the neighborhood tomorrow to see if any coolant goes missing.

Then... I'm questioning if the gas I added is causing this issue since it happened after I tanked up. Not sure how that would effect it.

Guess I'm just looking for some feedback. Im running all these scenarios in my head that I dont know where to start anymore. Plus, its late and i dont feel ike standing over the car anymore. Any help would be great.

Cheers!
Old 01-31-2012, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

did you replace your spark plugs, and are they NGK's? :-) also i would do a compression test ;-)
Old 01-31-2012, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Tell us more

Why did you do the head gasket change? Did you use new head bolts? What did the pistons look like? Was one really clean? Did you do a compression check prior to the head gasket change? What coolant did you use?
Old 01-31-2012, 07:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default More

Yeah I replaced the spark plugs with NGKs.

As to why I changed the head gaskets, when I first got the car I had the clutch replaced and to boot the mechanic did a tune up for me. Comes out to be that they over torqued a spark plug stripping the thread and over time the spark plug shot out. Tried heli-coiling but it didn't hold all that well.

So when the cam seal started leaking oil I decided to throw on a new head and all the other work that comes with that, plus the valley pan gasket, new timing belt, icv clean, egr clean, and throttle body clean. Used new stretch bolts when I changed the head gaskets. The head gaskets weren't blown so I never had a reason to do a compression test and the pistons were dirty as can be when I lifted the head. As for the coolant, G12 all day every day.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like all went per procedure. Seems like the big unknown is that new head. I've never had a pentosin leak, so I am not positive that it burns white, but I do know that prestone (old GM Cars) does burn white. If someone can confirm that pentosin burns white, an option would be to drain it and refill with water and then see if you still have white smoke. That doesn't address the sputtering issue though. Other posters have mentioned that they always resurface the heads (Crazy Russian, I believe). Some reading I've done indicates that aluminum heads are more suseptible to warpage than one would think. One article mentioned that with the block bolted on one end to an engine stand, there is enough flexion to cause the heads to warp, and to not torque the head bolts until the engine is back in the car or suitably supported. Considering it is a cast iron block, that surprised me.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Ran it last night

Ran the engine for a good 45 minutes in the garage with reving it last night until it started smoking again. I marked on the expansion tank where coolant line was , shut her down, and let her cool over night. Came back in the morning to see that the coolant was well under the marked line. Looks I have a coolant leak somewhere. What strikes me as odd is that I thought that if coolant was burning in the head that it would smoke as soon as the engine is started, but I could be wrong. Another thing that puzzles me is that after running the engine for 45 minutes it stopped smoking even when reved.

Regardless, I'm doing a compression this Saturday and I'll post the results.

Another thing that comes to mind is when I was torquing the head bolts on the right bank the 'POS' polydrive snapped on me on #4. So the center bolts where torqued and the others weren't and it took another week and half to get a new polydrive. This may have lead to some warping?
Old 02-08-2012, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by beforeyougo
Ran the engine for a good 45 minutes in the garage with reving it last night until it started smoking again. I marked on the expansion tank where coolant line was , shut her down, and let her cool over night. Came back in the morning to see that the coolant was well under the marked line. Looks I have a coolant leak somewhere. What strikes me as odd is that I thought that if coolant was burning in the head that it would smoke as soon as the engine is started, but I could be wrong. Another thing that puzzles me is that after running the engine for 45 minutes it stopped smoking even when reved.

Regardless, I'm doing a compression this Saturday and I'll post the results.

Another thing that comes to mind is when I was torquing the head bolts on the right bank the 'POS' polydrive snapped on me on #4. So the center bolts where torqued and the others weren't and it took another week and half to get a new polydrive. This may have lead to some warping?
I think your jumping the gun. What does fluid do when it heats up and cools down? Expands and contracts. So the hot coolant in the bottle will contract and be lower when cold. Your "is it leaking" method is very very flawed, and i wouldnt suspect it until will you really have to add some. What does the smoke smell like. If its really coolant, its dead obvious, smells like maple syrup.

A missfire, sudden rich condition, carbon, or just moisture boiling out of the exhuast will cause white smoke. The engine/exhuast will create over a gallon of water per gallon of fuel burned. So If the exhaust is filling full of water, and exhaust temps finally reach a point that it vaporizes the water, it will suddenly smoke. Just idling, exhaust temps are pretty low.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the input prospeeder. I probably should have included some more info. As of last, I have had to add some coolant. Also, the white smoke does smell a bit sweet. The final kicker is that I pulled all the spark plugs and one of them has coolant residue on them. Have yet to do a compression test. Hoping to get it done in the next couple of days.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thats too bad. and its on the side that you had half torqued for awhile? Unfortunatly that may have done it. Might just yank that head and have it machined and check out and reinstall it.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default update

Just wanted to update on what happened. Turns out everything was fine, even with having the head torqued half way. The smoke was just residual burning off and the sputtering came from cylinders 4 and 6 misfiring, code p0300. The reason they were misfiring was because I had those two ignition wires inverted. That took my neighbor(a infiniti tech) and i close to 2-3 hours to figure out and all we had to do was go back to the basics. Figures...

Quick Reply: Puffs of white smoke