2007 Audi a4 2.0t Multiple things Wrong

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Audi a4 2.0t Multiple things Wrong

Good Evening,
I have multiple things wrong with my 2.0t audi. I'm unsure if they are all related or not. They all seem to be very intermittent.

First off, I've read a lot about oil consumption for these vehicles. When i bought the car used the car was getting just about 1000 miles driven until i would have to throw a quart in. Now we are down to about 750 and sometimes only 700 miles until i'd have to throw a court in. Where is it going?

Secondly, becoming more frequent, I am experiencing white smoke coming out of the tail pipe usually when under load merging onto the freeway. (Kinda a burning smell). Nothing to strenuous like pedal to the floor just casual merging nothing speed racer. Car starts to stutter loosing power completely until i let off gas for a few seconds letting it recover then looking into rear view mirror the car behind me is just engulfed. Then all is good once car recovers from its mishap.

Third off, randomly happening on gradual slopes without smoke I'll get a misfire and car once again stutters but no smoke. This time CEL blinks. Usually happens around 70 , 6th gear on a incline. Not sure if they're linked or not. Almost dieing. But once again foot off the gas let car recover then all is good.

I pulled off the coil packs and noticed oil in 1 and 2 with a little oil in 3. 4 was dry. I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be dry. I took them out and cleaned them up. I did a test on PCV(from what I read you take off oil cap while car is running and if it runs ****ty then your pcv works) Car ran ****ty so I believe PCV is good, but not sure if this is related.

I confused myself typing this so I hope you guys understand a bit more then I do.

Cheers,
Ethan
Old 05-03-2016, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ethanauch@gmail.com
Good Evening,
I have multiple things wrong with my 2.0t audi. I'm unsure if they are all related or not. They all seem to be very intermittent.

First off, I've read a lot about oil consumption for these vehicles. When i bought the car used the car was getting just about 1000 miles driven until i would have to throw a quart in. Now we are down to about 750 and sometimes only 700 miles until i'd have to throw a court in. Where is it going?

Secondly, becoming more frequent, I am experiencing white smoke coming out of the tail pipe usually when under load merging onto the freeway. (Kinda a burning smell). Nothing to strenuous like pedal to the floor just casual merging nothing speed racer. Car starts to stutter loosing power completely until i let off gas for a few seconds letting it recover then looking into rear view mirror the car behind me is just engulfed. Then all is good once car recovers from its mishap.

Third off, randomly happening on gradual slopes without smoke I'll get a misfire and car once again stutters but no smoke. This time CEL blinks. Usually happens around 70 , 6th gear on a incline. Not sure if they're linked or not. Almost dieing. But once again foot off the gas let car recover then all is good.

I pulled off the coil packs and noticed oil in 1 and 2 with a little oil in 3. 4 was dry. I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be dry. I took them out and cleaned them up. I did a test on PCV(from what I read you take off oil cap while car is running and if it runs ****ty then your pcv works) Car ran ****ty so I believe PCV is good, but not sure if this is related.

I confused myself typing this so I hope you guys understand a bit more then I do.

Cheers,
Ethan
Ethan,

I had the exact same problem. Turns out I had a crack on the underside of my valve cover. It's a common problem. Under load, oil was getting through the crack and spilling into my turbo intake, causing rattling and a huge cloud of smoke. Check your valve cover and replace it if necessary. Also, you almost certainly have a lot of oil sitting in your intercooler pipe. Drain that. Valve cover and intercooler drain should get you back in business.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kjack
Ethan,

I had the exact same problem. Turns out I had a crack on the underside of my valve cover. It's a common problem. Under load, oil was getting through the crack and spilling into my turbo intake, causing rattling and a huge cloud of smoke. Check your valve cover and replace it if necessary. Also, you almost certainly have a lot of oil sitting in your intercooler pipe. Drain that. Valve cover and intercooler drain should get you back in business.
Thank you so much! I inspected the valve cover and put one on order, should be here today. It seemed the plastic had separated in one of the seems. I just got done draining the intercooler pipes and between the two there was a little over 1 cup of oil. Once the valve cover comes i'll put it back together and give the sucker a go!

Thanks for the reply!
Cheers,
Ethan
Old 05-07-2016, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ethanauch@gmail.com
Thank you so much! I inspected the valve cover and put one on order, should be here today. It seemed the plastic had separated in one of the seems. I just got done draining the intercooler pipes and between the two there was a little over 1 cup of oil. Once the valve cover comes i'll put it back together and give the sucker a go!

Thanks for the reply!
Cheers,
Ethan
Good to hear! You'll be back on the road in no time!