Audi A3 2007 2.0T Engine dying at low rpm, EPC and Engine malfunction light on

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi A3 2007 2.0T Engine dying at low rpm, EPC and Engine malfunction light on

Audi A3 2007 2.0T Engine dying at low rpm, EPC and Engine malfunction light on
Driving a 2007 A3 hatchback 2.0T.
This is my first forum post, I have very very little knowledge in regards to mechanic work especially on this vehicle so I'm really hoping that someone on here can help me narrow this down so I can start on trying to fix this issue myself. I cannot afford to put it in a shop right now, I'm a college student and money is very tight right now.
My main issue is that while I'm shifted out of gear
at low speeds/dropping in speed to stop or while idling the engine shuts off. While Im in neutral at low rpm the engine loses power so I have to restart the car in traffic to get moving again.
Somtimes the engine shuts off right after turning over if I don't give it gas with the pedal, other times it will stay idling for random periods of time on its own but seems to be having a lot trouble and is making a lot of bad noise while running in idle or low gear speed. Right now to keep the engine from dying at traffic stops I've been applying a small amount of pressure to the gas pedal to keep it running.

These are the codes I just had pulled
P2181 : Cooling system performance

P000A : Engine position system performance - Bank 1

P0016 : Crankshaft position - Camshaft Position correlation - Bank 1 sensor A

P0642 : Sensor reference Voltage A circuit Low

P2004 : Intake Manifold Runner Control stuck open Bank 1

P0341 : Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/performance (Bank 1 or single sensor)

My assumption based on the obvious is that the engine is having trouble getting fuel passively while I'm in neutral or in first gear at low speeds.
So far I seem to be running fine from 2nd to 5th gear.
This just started last night on my way home from class and I'm trying to not drive it at all unless I absolutely have to.
Like I said above I have basically no idea of where to start with this so any help, suggestions and assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Also Im not sure if it would help but I have two audio recording of the noise the engine makes. One of start up/2min of idling and the other of it shutting off on its own but I'm not sure how to upload them so I guess I'll just have to email them if it's necessary.
The following users liked this post:
AudiVoltron (12-20-2020)
Old 02-25-2017, 05:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filter or Needs a Tune Up

I would try a fuel Filter. If it still does it, I would get the car Tuned.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having similar issues with my car. Same year but it's automatic and I can feel it not running because of a lack of tuning. Def check your fuel first but I'm looking for shop to tune it up. That will likely fix most of the adjustments on you whip.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey thanks for the replies. I ended up putting it in with a shop to get some diagnostic done. The opinion I got from them was that the issues with staling out were related to my oil pressure being low which makes sense bcuz there was no oil in the engine when the problems started. After the staling out started is when I noticed the loss of oil and put 4qrts in myself before taking it to the shop, while they had it they said it wasnt giving them any problems so I picked it back up just the other day.
Just this morning I was pulling out and my power steering is out and the light is on. So now I'm thinking the power steering pump or power steering rack may need to be replaced bcuz the previous symptoms I had such as staling out and loss of oil are also related to that part failing.