Boost leak, need help.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Boost leak, need help.

Hey guys ive viewed this forum quite a lot but never signed up until now that I need help...

2009 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro

Under load there is a loud noise (don't know how to describe sound) coming from the engine bay near the turbo.
If I Rev the engine with open hood, I get smoke coming from where the diverted valve is but hard to sell if it's from that or a hose?
Any way I got a check engine light come on after 2/3days took it in to see a mechanic they told me they are 98% sure is the diverted valve... He took it off and cleaned it (covered in oil) but said there was no rips or tears in the diaphragm... But oil passed through it which indicates it failed?

Should I just take the chance and replace the valve? It's a rev c which I've heard are prone to fail but mainly damage is visible...If so I'll go ahead any replace it myself as they quoted me $200 just for the new valve not including labour. I can find the valve for $80 genuine.

Another question I have... My friend has a 2008 GTi FSI... He has a vaccum which is evident when he pulls out his dipstick... Is mine suppose to be like that aswell as the engines are the same? There is no vaccum when I raise my dip stick... Had the car 3 weeks...

Last thing, I noticed when I bought the car that the cover for the air duct is missing?? Should I replace asap as it seems it's sucking in warm air given off by the engine...? Reason I ask is because I heard some dealerships removed them intentionally for some reason?

All help is fully appreciated
Thanks
Old 02-06-2016, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Matals
Hey guys ive viewed this forum quite a lot but never signed up until now that I need help...

2009 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro

Under load there is a loud noise (don't know how to describe sound) coming from the engine bay near the turbo.
If I Rev the engine with open hood, I get smoke coming from where the diverted valve is but hard to sell if it's from that or a hose?
Any way I got a check engine light come on after 2/3days took it in to see a mechanic they told me they are 98% sure is the diverted valve... He took it off and cleaned it (covered in oil) but said there was no rips or tears in the diaphragm... But oil passed through it which indicates it failed?

Should I just take the chance and replace the valve? It's a rev c which I've heard are prone to fail but mainly damage is visible...If so I'll go ahead any replace it myself as they quoted me $200 just for the new valve not including labour. I can find the valve for $80 genuine.

Another question I have... My friend has a 2008 GTi FSI... He has a vaccum which is evident when he pulls out his dipstick... Is mine suppose to be like that aswell as the engines are the same? There is no vaccum when I raise my dip stick... Had the car 3 weeks...

Last thing, I noticed when I bought the car that the cover for the air duct is missing?? Should I replace asap as it seems it's sucking in warm air given off by the engine...? Reason I ask is because I heard some dealerships removed them intentionally for some reason?

All help is fully appreciated
Thanks
First, the diverter or turbo recirculation/bypass valve is very common in going out, which leads to a weird fluttering sound when you let of the accelerator at mid acceleration and cause a noticeable lack of power. I would give it a try. Also, there should little to no suction when you pull the dipstick. If there is, that usually means there is a problem with the PCV valve, another common thing on the 2.0t to go out.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Junius
First, the diverter or turbo recirculation/bypass valve is very common in going out, which leads to a weird fluttering sound when you let of the accelerator at mid acceleration and cause a noticeable lack of power. I would give it a try. Also, there should little to no suction when you pull the dipstick. If there is, that usually means there is a problem with the PCV valve, another common thing on the 2.0t to go out.
Thanks for your help,

Im not getting a fluttering sound when I let off the accelerator, I just get excessive noise and what appears to be white smoke coming from turbo/diverter valve area, also a loss of power when I give it gas