Excessive oil consumption with 2.0T engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 12:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Excessive Oil Consumption Audi

At approx 7000km I was told to bring my 2011 A4 in for an oil consumption test as it was routine for me to be adding oil before fuel. I returned today for the 1000km check point and was told about several vehicles that require an engine "rebuild" due to the excessive oil consumption. I cannot believe that Audi is still selling these vehicles. I am now waiting for the results to be sent to Audi Australia, but the situation does not look good. The disappointing thing is the unreliability and inconvenience, not to mention the effects on the environment with all this oil coming out the exhaust in a big cloud of smoke when I take off at lights... my white Audi has a black rear end.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default dealer mechanic

Sounds like the mech needs to pull the stick out of his *** and get a sense of humor. Just cked my oil all is good and mine doesn't smoke at all and it has 60,000 miles on it, i did descover by doing the oil cap test that my pcv vave is bad which would xplain why she is alittle hesitant when i first hit the gas so i will order 1 this week found the upgraded d type on ebay for 45 dollars free shipping out of cali.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I noticed a low oil condition but forgot to mention it to the dealer. i hvae to go back to get some parts installed i will be sure to mention it. thanks.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2010 A3 2.0T

I have a A3 and am up to 11500 miles. Has need a quart of oil at intervals of 4500 miles, 3200 miles and last at 1500 miles. Tail pipe is black with soot and license plate is going black as well. The Audi Dealer did a oil consumption test and said engine was within specifications. This seems crazy, need to drive around with a half case of oil in the back on a one year old car! I'd be fine with this level of oil consumption in an old 60's mustang without a rebuilt engine, but a new car no way. Not sure what one can do, since Audi seems to think hauling around extra oil is a legitamate fix.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Did anyone do a hard brake-in on their new car? I read from the S4 forum that the excessive oil burning issue was due to following the Audi guideline for gentle break-in of new engines. Apparently if you do a gentle break-in the piston rings don't seal completely and you burn oil. Many posters on the S4 forum swear by the hard break-in and lack of oil consumption.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess we have to define hard break in ?
Since we didn't order the wife's, just got one off the lot,
the test drive we took atarted @ 60 miles
and the wife drives HARD !!!

So not surprised if it had that hard break in and the oil consumption is not anything I've noticed other than the first mark on the mmi display @ 5K miles....

Now @ 8k+ miles and MMI display shows full.... so guess we are ok...
Old 09-04-2011, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hard break-in is basically revving the engine to max. Letting it wind down from the max rpm is the most important part. Until you get to 1000 miles you do this at least once everytime you drive the car. Rev to max rpm and let it wind down. What gear you are in doesn't matter, but the engine must be loaded, so it can't be in neutral. You need to be in manual mode if you have an automatic to prevent shifting. Make sure the engine is warmed up first though.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update - we are now at 10k+ miles and had our oil change @ 5k or so...

since then mmi oil display has been at full with no movement, so am happy to report we must not have an oil consumption issue...
Old 11-29-2011, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

my 09 A4 engine oil burn like crazy, the light on almost every 1000 km, i asked the staff in Audi and he said it's normal, is it burning oil too fast ? should i bring it to Audi and ask them to rebuild the engine ?
Old 01-05-2012, 02:10 PM
r0n
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin
my 09 A4 engine oil burn like crazy, the light on almost every 1000 km, i asked the staff in Audi and he said it's normal, is it burning oil too fast ? should i bring it to Audi and ask them to rebuild the engine ?
That's not normal. I'd complain to Audi directly and it's a known problem. Mine is burning oil 1 qt every 2k miles and they did the TSB for the oil consumption. I have to bring the car back to retest after I have driven the car for 630 miles. If it's still not fixed then they are going to replace the piston and rings.

-R

Quick Reply: Excessive oil consumption with 2.0T engine