HELP: 2009 Audi A3 2.0T Shudders with light acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: 2009 Audi A3 2.0T Shudders with light acceleration

Hello all,

I know this has been discussed before but through all of the threads that I've read, I haven't seen any resolution to the problem.

I own a 2009 Audi A3 2.0T Base Sportback with the DSG Transmission. Within the past 2 months, I have began noticing the car acting funny during light acceleration. Between 1500k-2k RPM, I feel slight shuddering. Past 2k, I don't feel it.

Within the past 5 days, my check engine light has come on and the shuddering happens over 2k and in 4th, 5th, and 6th gear (previously only 1st couple of gears).

So, I took it to the shop yesterday and they read the fault codes and said it was bad spark plugs. They put all new ones in, gave me an oil change, yada, yada, yada. They ultimately told me that the shuddering was from misfiring/bad plugs. Immediately after driving off the lot, I felt the shuddering again, albeit, under 2k RPM.

I took the car back and they drove it again and told me that it was a trasmission issue and most likely because of the age of the car and mileage. They said it was typical of DSG's. Later tonight, the Check Engine light came back on and same problem got worse.

Just for some service history to weed out (unless they could go back again so soon), a year ago I had 2 coils go bad and had them ALL replaced. Also, my car was part of a recall for the transmission when I bought it (used) in 2015. The dealer didn't replace it but serviced it to new working order and I haven't had a problem with it since early 2015.

Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone had any definitive resolution to the issue? Please help. I have a 20 hour drive to Florida coming up in 2 weeks.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I forgot to mention, I have 124k on the dash

Originally Posted by Plane_Smart
Hello all,

I know this has been discussed before but through all of the threads that I've read, I haven't seen any resolution to the problem.

I own a 2009 Audi A3 2.0T Base Sportback with the DSG Transmission. Within the past 2 months, I have began noticing the car acting funny during light acceleration. Between 1500k-2k RPM, I feel slight shuddering. Past 2k, I don't feel it.

Within the past 5 days, my check engine light has come on and the shuddering happens over 2k and in 4th, 5th, and 6th gear (previously only 1st couple of gears).

So, I took it to the shop yesterday and they read the fault codes and said it was bad spark plugs. They put all new ones in, gave me an oil change, yada, yada, yada. They ultimately told me that the shuddering was from misfiring/bad plugs. Immediately after driving off the lot, I felt the shuddering again, albeit, under 2k RPM.

I took the car back and they drove it again and told me that it was a trasmission issue and most likely because of the age of the car and mileage. They said it was typical of DSG's. Later tonight, the Check Engine light came back on and same problem got worse.

Just for some service history to weed out (unless they could go back again so soon), a year ago I had 2 coils go bad and had them ALL replaced. Also, my car was part of a recall for the transmission when I bought it (used) in 2015. The dealer didn't replace it but serviced it to new working order and I haven't had a problem with it since early 2015.

Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone had any definitive resolution to the issue? Please help. I have a 20 hour drive to Florida coming up in 2 weeks.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:13 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Since the MIL is on, I'd be curious to know what the codes are. Is the light blinking at any point?
Old 12-09-2016, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

No, it just stay on, solid.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Also, I grabbed the invoice and it says, through a chassis scan the technician found the following faults:

-Cylinder 2 misfire
-Cylinder 4 misfire

No telling what the new scan will reveal.