Trouble removing oil filter

Old 10-19-2015, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble removing oil filter

Hi folks. First time poster here. I went to do my first oil change on the Audi A4 2.0t that I bought a few months ago. I drained and replaced the old oil. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the oil filter off (my old strap type filter wrench kept slipping). I order the correct oil filter call wrench and it arrived today.

Now I'm wondering, is there any reason I should not just replace the filter without draining the oil in the crank case? Will oil shoot everywhere when I remove the filter? Is the practically new oil already contaminated from pasding through the old filter?

TIA,
Lawrie
Old 01-27-2016, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how you drive but unless I'm mistaken, when doing an oil change the oil is drained and then the filter is changed, it might have been better to wait until you had all the right parts and tools before even starting to do the job. Having said that, with the engine off I think it is safe to remove the old oil filter and put on a new one. Lastly just add a little new oil as your level will go down because you'll lose a little oil because of the filter change, but remember, it is better to be a quart low than over filling the engine with an extra quart. Good luck!
Old 02-04-2016, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Bunk. Changing the oil and leaving the old filter in place for a second stint is perfectly fine, if not optimal service.

I ideally change oil 2X a year for winter and summer and leave the filter in place. Not enough room on the page to explain it all, except yes, just drain the oil and refill it every other change with $25 jug 5w-30
Old 02-06-2016, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi Junkie
Bunk. Changing the oil and leaving the old filter in place for a second stint is perfectly fine, if not optimal service.

I ideally change oil 2X a year for winter and summer and leave the filter in place. Not enough room on the page to explain it all, except yes, just drain the oil and refill it every other change with $25 jug 5w-30
I dunno, the filter housing holds half a quart of dirty oil, and the manufacture, Audi, says change the filter every time. I occasionally get a BMW, Mercedes, or Audi with cartridge filter in, 10-15k oil change, and the filter is brittle, and breaks apart into pieces into my hands, i have the basically destroy the whole filter and pry the bottoms out of the filter housings. Change the oil AND filter, its a whole 7$ give me a break what are you saving? Some cars, mostly Mercedes and Porsche, use like 25$ oil filters with fleece or special synthetic media that can stand longer intervals. But a typical mann, bosch, heighst, or run of the mill parts store filters are not going to hold up to multiple oil changes very well. Especially on these hot running engines.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 02-06-2016 at 07:36 PM.