Trouble with transmission P0706

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble with transmission P0706

Hi Everyone,
I have a B7 2006 Audi A4 (CVT transmission). I have had my PRNDS flashing for quite some time now. Due to transmission range sensor code being active (P0706) I understand that the TCM is bad and needs to be rebuilt/replaced. What I need help with is understanding if my actual transmission is damaged, and if it is worth fixing the sensor.
Symptoms:
-Between 1700 and 2000 RPM, the RPM needle pulses and the car jerks, regardless of the speed/gear.
-for the above reason, I try driving in triptronic mode and keep RPMs over 2000, with minimal issues but now it is showing some signs of the below issue in triptronic as well.
-more recently, the RPMs will go up gradually to 3k then 4k but the acceleration does not increase with the RPMs, which is unusual (mostly in Drive, and sometimes in triptronic mode now)
-Triptronic gear shifting is generally smooth except for when i switch between second and third gear, at that point the car jerks a bit
-also more recently the turbo no longer engages
-Sometimes the reverse does not engage

Also the following codes appeared:
P1624-MIL Request Signal Active (Check TCM for errors tool) - Intermittent
P2293-Fule Pressure Regulator Valve (N276) - Mechanical Malfunction - MIL ON
P0087-Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too low - intermittent
P310B-Low Pressure Fuel regulation - Fuel pressure outside specification - intermittent
P1602-Power Supply Terminal 30 - Voltage too low - intermittent

I should add that my head cover gasket is leaking. I have had to replace ignition coils and spark plugs in the past. I will fix the problem, once I figure out the transmission issue.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The trans is junk unfortunately. the 2005-2006 units were weaker, the 07 and later had a better trans, which you can use with a software update.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for your reply Prospeeder. I am starting to loose hope. I did some research in to the other codes as well, it turns out that my camshaft may have to be replaced as well. Bad engine and bad transmission... not a good place to be
Old 07-29-2016, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well if your doing the work yourself the camshaft job isnt too bad. But the transmission is going to be the killer.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

The code you have needs to be fixed first to determine if there is a mechanical condition with your transmission. I have encountered a lot of shift conditions that go away once replacing the range sensor. I had a land rover freelander come in recently that had the transmission in fail safe mode, and it had a range sensor code. Once I replaced the range sensor it shifted good as new. Hopefully the same happens for you.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by transman
The code you have needs to be fixed first to determine if there is a mechanical condition with your transmission. I have encountered a lot of shift conditions that go away once replacing the range sensor. I had a land rover freelander come in recently that had the transmission in fail safe mode, and it had a range sensor code. Once I replaced the range sensor it shifted good as new. Hopefully the same happens for you.
The CVT trans does not have a range sensor, its part of the mechatronic unit and transmission computer assembly which cost an insane amount, and the trans could still be junk. CVT trans especially the early ones before they added more cluches were very poor transmissions.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 08-01-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I understand that and I'm suggesting that in order to diagnose a mechanical condition, all control items must be repaired first. OP states he has a 706 code, which can cause hunting in a cvt.
you either **** into the wind and replace the transmission/control unit to rectify all possibilities, or you take a chance and do just the mechateonics. 80% of all transmission problems are mechatronics problems and often mid diagnosed by doing internal repair instead.

I'm not saying its one or the other but the answer you would get from a transmission shop is to replace the mechatronics first, and if there is still other issues, you can at least rebuild or replace the transmission unit. Either way it needs the mechatronics replaced.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Transman, I get what you are saying. I have a way of getting the transmission control module rebuilt within my city (Toronto) for $450, so that may be a first step. As Prospeeder mentioned, and according to all the research I did, the range sensor is built in to the TCM.
It's risky, because I spend $450 + fluid + labour. Lets say I spend $700 best case scenario, and if there is a transmission failure, I could be out of that money unless I decide to rebuild it. On the flip side, it could resolve the issue.
It is changing gears, so you might be right.

Prospeeder, I saw a DIY video on youtube for camshaft replacement. It looks like tedious work but I'm willing to do it to save some doe. Any idea how I can get a hold of a camshaft?
Old 08-05-2016, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Just look online for a cam. Replacement kits from ECS tuning are fairly reasonable.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ProlificScarcity
Transman, I get what you are saying. I have a way of getting the transmission control module rebuilt within my city (Toronto) for $450, so that may be a first step. As Prospeeder mentioned, and according to all the research I did, the range sensor is built in to the TCM.
It's risky, because I spend $450 + fluid + labour. Lets say I spend $700 best case scenario, and if there is a transmission failure, I could be out of that money unless I decide to rebuild it. On the flip side, it could resolve the issue.
It is changing gears, so you might be right.

Prospeeder, I saw a DIY video on youtube for camshaft replacement. It looks like tedious work but I'm willing to do it to save some doe. Any idea how I can get a hold of a camshaft?
See, the thing is, with the code you have, you are going to need the TCM repaired either way, unless you replace the whole transmission unit, which will come with a new mechatronics.

But, what I have been taught is that on transmissions that are electronically controlled, 80% of transmission problems are valve body/mechatronics related. It's funny because I have never needed to rebuild a mercedes 722.9 trans, but the amount of valve body work I do on those is at least one a month.

Put it this way, if you rolled into the shop I work at with this condition you have, the first thing I would do is run down the road and log live data, to upload and study. From there, I would either recommend a reflash/update, or pull the valve body out. But with the 706 code, theres a chance the computer is saturated with oil. Nobody can diagnose a mechanical problem without the electrical problem being solved first.