A6 2.7T Misfire can't fix problem...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 05:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 2.7T Misfire can't fix problem...HELP

Hi All! I own Audi A6 2.7T S-line 2004y for 2 years,I like the car but have a big problem that nobody can fix it in my country, The problem is misfire,Yeah I can fix it by replacing Coil packs by new and paying 100 dollars(local price for 2 coil packs).but I can't afford myself to replace coil packs every month or so..I've bought about 15 new coil packs during 2 years..is it normal??? I've replaced 6 of them and Irridium Denso spark plugs as well,but again about 2000 miles mileage and my car suffers misfire again,Usually it has in 2 cylinders at the same time,for example cylinder #2 and #3 or #5 and #2... Local technicians accuse in non quality coil packs to what I don't believe(I've tried almost every manufacturer)
Every Time i replace coil packs in my car I get hope it won't burn out and live a long, but...
The Alternator gives 14.4 Volts with no load,I was by replacing the alternator my problem will fix,because such voltage can easily damage my coil packs...
I've request to advice me how to fix my problem...Thanks
Old 09-11-2011, 10:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Have you tried to replace the ignition amplifiers(They are actually called Ignition Control Modules)? They are the 2 boxes that are screwed/sit at the top of your air box.

Last edited by awdjunkies; 09-11-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by awdjunkies
Have you tried to replace the ignition amplifiers(They are actually called Ignition Control Modules)? They are the 2 boxes that are screwed/sit at the top of your air box.
Hi, I'd searched these ICM's in my car today but wasn't able to find them ,also i saw Audi Allroad 2002 2.7T and ICM's are screwed above airbox under the cover, i can't understand why my car doesn't have this idiotic ICM's???? it's BEL Engine 2.7T 2004y S-line 265HP,, can anyone tell me what can be reason?Why coil packs burnes out so often??? Am I right in thinking that alternator gives 14.4 volts with no load and sometimes coil packs don't maintain high voltage??? Thanks
Old 09-12-2011, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Evotech
Hi, I'd searched these ICM's in my car today but wasn't able to find them ,also i saw Audi Allroad 2002 2.7T and ICM's are screwed above airbox under the cover, i can't understand why my car doesn't have this idiotic ICM's???? it's BEL Engine 2.7T 2004y S-line 265HP,, can anyone tell me what can be reason?Why coil packs burnes out so often??? Am I right in thinking that alternator gives 14.4 volts with no load and sometimes coil packs don't maintain high voltage??? Thanks
The BEL code 2.7l biturbo does not have individual ICMs like the APB code engine. That function is integrated into the individual coils. Do you have access to VAG-COM to scan your car?
Old 09-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Peter Badore
The BEL code 2.7l biturbo does not have individual ICMs like the APB code engine. That function is integrated into the individual coils. Do you have access to VAG-COM to scan your car?
Yes, I'll check it by codes,but as always it only gives me misfire codes...**** Audi!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Evotech
Have you monitored the alternator voltage as you drive your car? Maybe the alternator voltage is spiking higher than 14.4 when driving due to a malfunctioning regulator?
Old 09-22-2011, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Miss fire also can caused by other reason

such as error ignition timing
Old 10-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you have the bently manual all of the electrical can be easily tested. All you need is a cheap volt meter and a test light. having a buddy helps too because you will need to turn on the car and stuff to check some things. I had to go through and test everything for a misfire issue but in the end found it was my valves and valve guides that were the issue. I would do a compression test on all cylinders before you replace anything else.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi all, My car gets missfire again, I replaced coil pack in #6 cylinder and it's normal now, but i can't find and fix disease of my car, regular every 1500 miles and 2-3 months some of coil packs malfunctions and dies...One electronic technician's told me that by replacing my ECU my problem fixes.it's too expensive thing and there is no warranty my car will get missfire and same problem. Is here any smart Audi technician who can advise me how to fix it??
Old 12-22-2011, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to replace all 6 plugs with Audi/VW plugs. The wrong type of plugs or very very very worn out plugs will over stress coils and ruin them. I have good sucsess with Denso, NGK, Bosch brands also.

You need to replace ALL the connectors. Theres techincal service bullitins all over for this problem. The connectors arnt designed to be removed more than a once or twice before the female parts of the connector get loose, and one tiny arc will cause an extreme voltage spike and destroy the coil. It will do it over and over and over till you replace the connectors. Good luck

Quick Reply: A6 2.7T Misfire can't fix problem...HELP