Catalytic Converter replacement? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic Converter replacement? HELP!

Bought a 2001 Audi Allroad for my son a couple weeks ago and have run into some issues. Looked and sounded great on the lot, but I don't know a thing about Audi's ... against my better judgment, we bought the car.

Check engine light is on. I know I've got some oil leaks, but its also coming up with O2 sensor and CAT codes. Mechanic had it up on the lift and tells me the CAT's are packed almost solid and need to be replaced. He's recommending OEM cats, new plugs etc at about $1600. Since there are other issues that need to be dealt with, not sure we can afford to bring it back to "manufacturer" specs. He says he hasn't had very good luck with aftermarket, but the car already has 185K and I only need to get 4-5years and another 50K out of it. I've read through other posts and get a mixed message about 1)My options, 2)cost of options, and 3)impact of options on the performance/longevity of the car. I just need a reliable runner that I won't have to dump more money into every year.

Can a few of you kind souls set me straight? Do I bite the bullet or chase a Magnaflow option? We don't have emission tests here, so do I by-pass altogether or will I just be causing damage down the road?

Sorry for the long read, but thanks in advance!
Old 02-20-2016, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An allroad with high mileage is going to be an expensive car to drive. Definitely not acar to buy if you want cheap transportation. Aftermarket cats tend to be good for a couple of years, if that, before they wear out. If you plan on keeping this car, OE cats will last the longest, assuming that the problem that caused the originals to go bad has been addressed.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ntownsen
Bought a Audi Allroad for my son a couple weeks ago and have run into some issues. Looked and sounded great on the lot, but I don't know a thing about Audi's ... against my better judgment, we bought the car.

Check engine light is on. I know I've got some oil leaks, but its also coming up with O2 sensor and CAT codes. Mechanic had it up on the lift and tells me the CAT's are packed almost solid and need to be replaced. He's recommending OEM cats, new plugs etc at about $1600. Since there are other issues that need to be dealt with, not sure we can afford to bring it back to manufacturer specs. He says he hasn't had very good luck with aftermarket, but the car already has 185K and I only need to get 4-5years and another 50K out of it. I've read through other posts and get a mixed message about 1)My options, 2)cost of options, and 3)impact of options on the performance/longevity of the car. I just need a reliable runner that I won't have to dump more money into every year.

Can a few of you kind souls set me straight? Do I bite the bullet or chase a Magnaflow option? We don't have emission here, so do I by-pass altogether or will I just be causing damage down the road?

Sorry for the long read, but thanks in advance!
Nigel, firstly your message is VERY hard to read with all the strange formatting so I fixed it for you to make it simpler for others to follow.

Secondly, you bought the least reliable of all Audi vehicles, simply due to the wear and tear items which fail on the AR (i.e. air suspension). This is a skewed example, but even ardent AR owners know that there car is neither cheap or easy to keep in 100% working order: Everything You Want To Know About The Audi Allroad 2.7T In About 60 Seconds

Third, I replaced the Cats on my C5 years ago with aftermarket ones and they worked great.

Furthermore, introduce yourself on the C5 forum here: A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion - AudiWorld Forums or the Allroad subforum.

Lastly, get yourself a VCDS ross-tech and you'll be FAR better offer when you have to troubleshoot your vehicle and will actually KNOW what's going on vs. guessing.