PCV system - spiderhose

Old 04-16-2012, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default PCV system - spiderhose

IIRC, there are 2 versions of the spider hose on 2.7T.
Is there a simple 'tell tale' to determine which version I have on my 2002 Allroad 2.7T? I have a spare engine that is soon going in (from an S4) and I need to replace the corrugated plastic hoses.

Also: can (and should?) the PCV valve itself (I assume its the plastic part shown at the top right in the pic below) be replaced?
Part number? Source?

Since I am installing larger turbos (higher boost), I also would like to incorporate a catch can.

Can someone put 'arrows' in the photo to show the directions of flow, and where the catch can should be spliced in?

Photo below is NOT from either of my engines, just for reference:
The following users liked this post:
SapperVee1263 (06-13-2020)
Old 04-16-2012, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV

That valve in upper right goes to the y-pipe, and is called the pressure limiting valve. Search for SSP 198. Its easy to find an english version in pdf format. Page 30 of that ssp has a great picture of the PCV system. The ssp describes the purpose of that limiting valve. A new breather hose assembly comes with that valve, but not a new PCV. The PCV valve is called the non-return valve in the ssp. The PCV or non-return valve would be attached to the hose that attaches to the intake manifold. I think it is the rubber fitting at the end of the second hose in your picture. To test it you should be able to suck from that fitting, not blow (mmm, mmm, good). I've never seen a bad one.

Make sure you clean or replace the valley pan gasket inside the crankcase ventilator (pn: 078103547F), which is under the intake manifold. I've seen crankcase ventilators 100% clogged, make sure you clean it! If you clean out that stuff, I'd probably blow off the catch can. I believe a catch can would go between the distributor piece and the PCV. Therefore; it probably wouldn't keep the crankcase ventilator and gasket from clogging. I don't think bigger turbos would change how the PCV system works.

To find your breather hose assembly, Try going to ECS tuning, and where it says search by part # or keyword, type in "2.7t breather hose". Call them if you're not sure which one it is. Unless they are broken, I usually just clean them out with paint thinner, and use compressed air to blow them dry, being carefull not to blow the wrong way on either the pcv or the plv.
Attached Images     
Old 04-15-2015, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to dig up a really old post but was this causing smoke under engine braking?

Mn