Trouble with timling chain 3.2 A3 DSG - lot of questions.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble with timling chain 3.2 A3 DSG - lot of questions.

Hello,

Got a big problem on my A3 VR6 3.2 DSG 2004with 214,600 km on the clock – “Longlife” program …
I just bought it and found at first cold startthat the engine was shaking, having a rough idle and making rattling noise.
When hot, the rattling noise is much moresilent, and idle much better, this explains why I did not notice much of aproblem when I bought the car (engine was hot !)

On the VagCom I have one persistent fault:
17755/P1347/004935 - Camshaft Position Sensor 2(G163) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Incor. Correl.

On channels 208 and 209 I can see thatcorrection is -7°KW for intake cam and -10°KW for exhaust cam.
Tolerance shown on the tool is -8 / +8 °KW

I am out of this tolerance and thus get the enginelight on dash.
Plus the rattling noise indicating thattensioners and chain are not in good shape.

I would say that some can call me a skilledmechanic but I have no garage and then must work in my garden … so I have todefine exactly how to proceed to change the timing chain.

I have many questions then and would appreciateany help and guidance:

• Can Istill drive for a couple of months until spring comes up with the car in thatcondition ? I have a second car (Buick Roadmaster 92 and a motorbike, so I willeventually use the A3 for daily drive and for 40 km per day in that case)
  • OnELSAWIN the Audi procedure is to remove the engine from below to do the job.
    1. Can I drop the engine/dsg using a floor crane,then lift the car and then roll the engine/dsg out ?
    2. Can I remove the engine from top ?
    3. Can I just remove the DSG gearbox and thenleaving the engine in the engine bay, do the work on the timing chain ?

• I have agarage to work on the engine/dsg and will probably manufacture a stand orsomething to support the engine then what to pay attention to ?
    1. Dual mass flywheel ? how to detect a failure ?where to purchase ?
    2. DSG clutch ? due to 200,000 + kms, is it wiseto simply replace it ? I fear the AUDI kit will cost big $$$ - where can it bepurchased for less ?
    3. Any other thing to inspect ? replace ?
    4. Any difficulty to expect ?

Thank a lot for help on this, I have put all mymoney in the car and it is failing at me … I have (once again) to do the workto save big $$$ but winter will definitely not help me there …

Old 11-26-2015, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK so I finally decided to remove the engine/DSG from below.

A good friend will help me and I have found someone who can lend me a garage with a car lift.

DSG clutch full repair kit and tools T10303 + T10302 in hands.

FEBI chain kit in stock as well

+ some gaskets, bolts, seals and other pieces required for the work.

Scheduled to start on Sunday. Monday as well. Don't know if I will be able to finish on Monday ...

To be continued...
Old 04-26-2016, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good luck & have fun!