Audi Guru/Master: Help with Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Guru/Master: Help with Transmission

Hello All,
I have two 2002 Audi A6’s... One is the Avant and the other is the sedan... They are both the 3.0L Quattro. Mine is the Avant and the sedan is my daughters... I’ve been working on cars ever since I was 15 years old and am much older now... I’ve done the majority of the work on all my vehicles including these two, but am a bit stumped with this particular issue...
My daughters A6 has 188k miles on it and runs amazingly well if not for this problem... Several months ago she took it for a drive and this is what is happening:
The car will shift into drive normally, will drive through 1st gear, shift normally into 2nd gear, will shift into 3rd gear for approximately 2~3 seconds and drop into neutral (engine will rev/surge due to the no load condition) and will then lurch into gear... the same thing will usually happen when it shifts from 3rd to 4th gear... It doesn’t feel like it’s slipping in the gear, but dropping out of it entirely.... Once in the appropriate gear it stays just fine... Acceleration if fine, will kick down appropriately, will down shift perfectly... Only happens going into 3rd and 4th... Also, this was not a gradual thing, went from driving fine to this in an instant.
What I have done: BTW the tranny is the 01V-300-050K
1) I have a vagcom code reader and it does not throw any transmission codes.
2) I have changed the transmission fluid and filter with appropriate fluid and filter: Old fluid looked dark, but very minimal sludge on pan or magnets (look better than I expected). This procedure produced no change what so ever... Still same condition with shifting.
3) I have not reset the TCM ... Should I???
4) I have not reset the ECM either... Should I???
Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated, as the car runs extremely well otherwise and my daughter loves the car and needs it to get to school and back... She has been driving it this way for months now and does not appear to get worse or better, but a nuisance when getting it to shift.
I’m hoping for a ridiculous Audi sensor gremlin or tweak... Please HELP... Thanks.