C5 A6 24Q - Tiptronic trouble (Valve body)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 07:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 A6 24Q - Tiptronic trouble (Valve body)

Hellu!

This is my first post, so please let me know if I am posting this in the wrong section.

I have just bought a 2001 Audi A6 2.4 Quattro Tiptronic fix`er upper. Thought is to use it for skiing trips etc. Lovely car, black with black leather and steel railings on the roof) 125.000 miles.

But one of the issues with the car is that the transmission sort of kicks/jolts when pressing the pedal to do a kick down. Same if i break hard and the gearbox has to downshift fast. With normal driving it is as smooth as butter.

So I called three different garages. One said a flush and filterchange would do the trick. One meant I had to change the valve body, as it was operating at the wrong hydraulic pressure due to lack of oilchange over the years. The last one just said "the gearbox must be overhauled".

I have tried to look around. I am fairly good at basic mechanic work on cars (I dont rebuild engines etc, but more of the usual stuff like changing a starter motor, suspension, and stuff like that), and would have no trouble changing the valve body myself. But I want a refurbished one or have the one I have refurbised (is there anything here I can do myself).

I am very confused by the three estimates, and garages charge around 200 dollars pr. hour in Norway just for labour. As much as I can do and check myself is great. Doing an overhaul is out of the question, but I would love to be able to "save this car" as they get scrapped or parted out here if the gearbox is shoot.

I have read the fault codes with a basic fault reader, and nothing showed up.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Update

Having a friend with Vagcom looking at it this week. What codes are we looking for regarding transmission, MAF, valve body etc?
Old 12-05-2015, 06:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just got a good zf5hp19 transmission for free from a guy I know. He gave it away so i just picked it up. But its from a 2.4 FWD. can i put it on my car and attach it to the transferbox? If not, is it the same valve body unit. The transmission is recently overhauled but came of a damaged car.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mariusml
I just got a good zf5hp19 transmission for free from a guy I know. He gave it away so i just picked it up. But its from a 2.4 FWD. can i put it on my car and attach it to the transferbox? If not, is it the same valve body unit. The transmission is recently overhauled but came of a damaged car.
Thats a good question. But I dont think you can just add the transfer box. The valve body should be the same tho.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Probably.

Anyways. I have been driving the car a bit the last couple of days. When driving normal and not aggressive everything workes really smooth. But flooring it and it Will shift hard from 1.st to 2.

After that its prone to slipping, especially uphill. Shut it of and start again and shifting fine.

I have noticed when I start the car it revs at 1000-1200 at idle. After a while it slows down to 700. The it bounces between 700-775, but not regularly.

I know the crankhouse breather to be ready for at least a good cleaning. Should I check for vacuum leaks or MAF things. These things may not be related, but seems logical to mend them first
Old 12-07-2015, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yikes if the fluid is full and transmission slips its junk...