NEED Expert Engine Help....PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED Expert Engine Help....PLEASE!!!

Hi all,
DESPERATELY need help here.
Have a 2002 A4 Avant 3.0L bought it with a blown timing belt...long story short, rebuilt motor, two new (used) heads (both bank cams and journals wiped out) all new parts, etc, etc.
NOW, it runs like a champ, nice and smooth, everything is great....been having a burning smoke smell while driving it....found oil leak evident at bottom of engine...traced up to oil coming from under the timing gear covers....pulled covers off and see a lot of oil in around the cam gears.....even though I put new cam seals and all that in when rebuilding motor.
Another VERY odd thing......with the engine running if I open the oil fill cap, the engine starts to misfire and stumble very badly. My 2.7T Allroad doesn't do that if I pull the oil fill cover.....
So, is that normal for the 3.0 to do that if I open the oil fill cover????
Could there be abnormal pressure build up in the heads which would push oil out of the cam seals even though they are new??? I did re-plumb the PCV system because as usual the plastic hoses were all cracked and broken so I made new tubing with rubber hose and all.
Sorry for being so long but I am completely stumped!!! I have been working on Audi/VWs for years and never have I had this much trouble with an engine.....I would LOVE any and all information/advice I could get.
Thanks in advance everyone!!
Rob
Old 12-17-2013, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im definatly no expert. but is it possible that you have the pcv valve oriented the wrong way. i think its a one way road in the valve. again, no expert, just my 2 cents