need help ASAP 2.8 30v motor issue.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help ASAP 2.8 30v motor issue.

Well i purchased a 1998 audi a4 avant 2.8 quattro automatic. Owner of the vehicle told me that the car needed vc gaskets,camseals,timing belt service. No big deal all stuff ive done before. Well when i arrived at the vehicle to purchase it the car wouldnt start but turned over just fine and seemed to have compression n acted like it wanted to start, but was sitting for 6months and seems to be flooded. So i loaded it on the trailer and brought it home anyways, when i got it home and in the shop i decided to try starting it again n cranked on it for serveral mins with nothing just turning over and smelling like fuel. Then i think the starter took a crap on me. Went to turn it over and just a click try again and same thing just one click. I put the car in service position cause i was gonna just go ahead and do all the timing maintenance while i waited for a new starter to come in but now the motor wont turn by hand to get the marks to TDC and the cam sprockets lined up. It turns about a 1/4 of turn in either direction then stops pretty solid. I didnt wanna crank on it to hard just in case one of the pistons is kissing a valve. So my first guess was the starter was stuck open and causing it to hold the fly wheel and making it not able to turn the motor by hand. So i went ahead and removed the starter from the alternator opening out the front, and still same thing, motor stops when trying to turn it by hand. It does look like if it would make a full rotation that all the marks would line up just fine tho. Please help any advice will help and hopefully will point me in the right direction to finding the issue. Thanks.