Uh oh? 3.0 avk

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 07:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uh oh? 3.0 avk

Cleaning engine while waiting on parts and came a cross a hole on the block. Can anyone tell me what would have caused it and if it's shot..

Lh side by oil filter and ac compressor

Just am curious if I can run that way. You would think there would be a lot of oil in the area. Most of the oil came from the power steering hose that was leaking
Old 04-26-2016, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow thats strange, well if its been running ok up until its discovery, its probably ok. I would be inclined to maybe clean the area and patch it with something, maybe a small bit of metal and some JB weld.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you sure the hole in in the block, and not just a space between the block and a bolted on accessory?
Old 09-19-2019, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I’ve the same problem

I’ve the same problem, I just take the engine out because the automatic transmission are having issues, now the engine had a lot of oil leaks. Taking the block on the engine bank, I saw that hole! And it’s not minor, what you do to fix it? And the fix came with another issues? I think that the pressure is very high? Or the installation of the a/c compressor are brokered?

Old 06-01-2023, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

I came across this old thread from searching, since I found the identical hole on my 3.0L engine.

Has anyone successfully patched this? It seems to be a non critical area, so I'm wondering if the solution is as straightforward as a really good cleaning and some JB Weld?

Regarding the cause: I'm going to guess that this was simply a thin spot in the casting molds that was overlooked and made it to production.

Last edited by Victorymike18; 06-05-2023 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-24-2023, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Kind of a minor update to an old thread, but I was poking around and I'm starting to doubt that this hole actually leads into the crankcase / oil pan area. It seems (yet to fully confirm) that this is kind of a dead space that is sealed off. And I found a couple of similar holes along the Driver side of the block which are inconsequential... So ultimately it might not be an issue at all.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Victorymike18
I came across this old thread from searching, since I found the identical hole on my 3.0L engine.

Has anyone successfully patched this? It seems to be a non critical area, so I'm wondering if the solution is as straightforward as a really good cleaning and some JB Weld?

Regarding the cause: I'm going to guess that this was simply a thin spot in the casting molds that was overlooked and made it to production.

Hmm....?

Very interesting.
The metal there is extremely thin.
Right above it is a bolt.
Is that bolt holding, perhaps, that thin cover?

Seems a good number of owners are seeing a hole in the same area.
Given the many under engine covers on these vehicles, I wonder what caused the hole/break?
Initially I thought perhaps it's an area where rocks can easily get kicked into that space, but given the aero, under engine covers, I'm not sure.

Do the under engine aero covers cover that area or not?

Old 02-13-2024, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ah, good time for an update. I have the lower oil pan off and had a machine shop clean the engine. I've since done a lot of poking around with a flashlight from underneath and I am quite confident this is not actually open to the oil pan / crankcase. It seems to me it's an independent little chamber and the chip doesn't matter. I get the feeling that I could actually open the hole up further without consequence and may even do that just to inspect & clean it out...

I don't own a B6 so I can't comment about the engine covers.

And that bolt is likely one of the side mounted bolts fastening the crank main bearing caps?

Here's a photo where you can see there's a "floor" to the chamber, and you can even see some of the beige sealant towards the inner left side.