Control Module ruined, Moisture/Corrosion

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 08:44 PM
LYU
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default thank you ,BarneyM,

Originally Posted by BarneyM
Here's some info and pictures of the Gateway Module. All of the communications to all the controllers go through this little box. So if it has a problem your car will be down until the Gateway is replaced!

First you need to remove the bottom of the rear seat. I have a 2020 SQ5 and it has the adjustable rear seat. yours may be different but the seat removes the same way. Just grab the front edge of the seat and give it a very heavy jerk up. May take a few tries but it will come off. Then work the seat bottom out. The adjustable seat has two sections. The left side and middle section come out together. No need to mess with the right seat.

Once you have the seat out you will see the Gateway Module bolted to the floor with two nuts. Notice the Module is setting in a small indentation very much like a small bathtub. Once any liquid gets into the indentation the Gateway will be submerged until the liquid evaporates! The Gateway sets directly below the rear seat cup holders! Not a good design.

Since I have the adjustable rear seat there is a frame that is just above the Gateway that has two holes that match perfectly the mounting holes in the Gateway. So I just flipped the Gateway over and bolted it to the frame getting it out of the indentation.

By the way, the two plastic pieces that hold the seat down will be destroyed when you remove the seat. Not a big deal as they are cheap (part # 80A 886 373).

this is the first time I see the situation of 2018 Q5 gateway out of china.
thank you ,this is very helpful.
in china, the 2018 Q5 has 88 cm extra wheelbase than 2018 Q5 in usa, so leg wells for rear seat users are big enough.
but all the rear seats are fixed, can not be adjusted, very sad.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:48 PM
LYU
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tomaszp72
Just curious, this gateway is there only on MKII Q5 or the old once have it there as well? Anybody knows?
hi, I am a 2008-2017 Q5 owner, I know its gateway is under center console, just beside the center 7 inch led screen.
it is very safe.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:50 PM
LYU
AudiWorld Member

Please who can tell the reason why NEW 2018Q5 changed its location from OLD 2008-2017Q5 's center console to rear seat.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LYU
hi, I am a 2008-2017 Q5 owner, I know its gateway is under center console, just beside the center 7 inch led screen.
it is very safe.
thanks.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

good information here, need to make sure no one drinks or even sits in my back seats lol
Old 08-05-2020, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

As an alternate attachment method, Home Depot sells 2 sided adhesive tape rated for up to 25 lbs. Have used this tape in many instances. Practically have to chisel it off once it adheres. Not sure if there is a flat surface area on the bracket underside, but its wouldn’t need much surface area to allow this attachment method to do the job.

If I still had my rug rats sitting in my back seats, I’d probably put this MMI mode into action.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
With Audicare checking the sunroof drains is a service item or it at least used to be. Has the dealer confirmed the drains are good?
You mean checking sunroof drains is a just another box on the service sheet the techs check off but don’t actually do.

Typical procedure at the shop is - Change the oil, rotate tires, check all inspection boxes on form, note any money making opportunities (brakes, tires, etc) return vehicle to customer.
The following 2 users liked this post by MkVI GTI:
itcsburnett (12-10-2021), partzguy (08-21-2021)
Old 08-08-2020, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 341 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by MkVI GTI
You mean checking sunroof drains is a just another box on the service sheet the techs check off but don’t actually do.

Typical procedure at the shop is - Change the oil, rotate tires, check all inspection boxes on form, note any money making opportunities (brakes, tires, etc) return vehicle to customer.
Even the tire rotation is not included free with Audi Care. That would have to go under your category ".....note any money making opportunities......"
The following users liked this post:
partzguy (08-12-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried to order the clips through my local Audi dealer and the clips are VIN locked so I could not order them. The dealer said taht another dealer had them in stock and I might be able to walk up and buy them.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:44 PM
LYU
AudiWorld Member

A NEW CASE JUST EXPOSED FROM SUZHOU,CHINA, YESTERDAY.
FOLLOWING QUOTED ,

​​​​​​​
I picked it up in July and drove 1200 kilometers. Put 4 s shop paster  brand in early August, August 8 weeks  family together to get a car, 20 kilometers out of the 4 s shop hasn't got home, all of the system fault, stop in the middle of the road  can start, nearly causing accidents, 35 degrees the weather around the middle of the road, such as more than an hour 4 s shop didn't have a car to pull the car to go to the store and check the afternoon after tell me seat water gateway is broken at 10000 multivariate maintenance, we have children, car   we rule out possible child the water leakage, we also don't have big capacity water, also can drink a little water, the water how come we didn't also too pay attention to, because no feel wet, Even if a little water leakage, can burn out the gateway, can this car  can use, there are children to drink water after pee unavoidably seat  sprinkle some water, no waterproof design lets a person

Quick Reply: Control Module ruined, Moisture/Corrosion