Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

disabling the door lock button on the rear doors

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disabling the door lock button on the rear doors

hi all -

i have a problem where i need to disable the lock buttons on the rear doors. my son in his chair seat is able to kick the lock button and if i run out of the car for a second (filling up the car, etc) i could very easily be locked out.

in my old allroad i was able to disable this very some process using the remote and a button on the door sill, but i have not been able to find this feature in the manuel

thanks in advance for any help
Old 11-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lsher
hi all -

i have a problem where i need to disable the lock buttons on the rear doors. my son in his chair seat is able to kick the lock button and if i run out of the car for a second (filling up the car, etc) i could very easily be locked out.

in my old allroad i was able to disable this very some process using the remote and a button on the door sill, but i have not been able to find this feature in the manuel

thanks in advance for any help
i just read another post with the same issue.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ton+rear+doors

this was posted back in 2007. i can't believe audi wouldn't have address this issue in 2-3 years esp. since this was a feature that i had in my old allroad and i can't believe the rear doors have no way on unlocking the doors. there is no unlock button for the rear doors.

i've had my 2010 q7 tdi for almost 2 weeks and this is the biggest problem i've found. it's very scary cause i have 2 young kids in child seats.

any help!!!
Old 11-12-2009, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can turn off or select which doors operate within central locking group via MMI. Also on EU models there is a key slot in the drivers door itself. 2nd there is override control on door. It was not included in early US models but 2010??? no idea.
If you activate child lock for that door does it isolate it from command anyway

The slot in door is just out of shot in this pic above and in the painted section of door jam. (note thats RHD so imagine reversed)
Name:  Driversdoor.jpg
Views: 25014
Size:  71.7 KB
Old 11-12-2009, 07:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
You can turn off or select which doors operate within central locking group via MMI. Also on EU models there is a key slot in the drivers door itself. 2nd there is override control on door. It was not included in early US models but 2010??? no idea.
If you activate child lock for that door does it isolate it from command anyway

The slot in door is just out of shot in this pic above and in the painted section of door jam. (note thats RHD so imagine reversed)
Thanks for the response.

Some comments on your points ...

1) The central locking in MMI is for unlocking the car for the outside - based on my understanding. Via the MMI is you can turn "OFF" the rear seat locking than when you unlock the car the rear door will still remain locked.

2) the "child safety" button on the drivers left armrest - 1 button "on/off" per rear side will
a) disable the ability for the rear doors to be opened - even if the car is unlocked
b) disable the window function on the rear doors
c) it will deactivate the rear controls for the sunroof and sunshade
d) disable the control of the "warm weather" package heating and air conditioner controls

it will not stop the rear passengers from lock the doors.

3) override in the door ... i will check on this and report back. i didn't see anything in the book on this.

thanks again.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

I usually rolled the window all the way down if I'm worried about kids locking the door. Prestige package and you can keep the key in your pocket. I also have a 2010 TDI, and didn't even realize this. I also have the Prestige, so it would be moot since I keep the key in my pocket all the time. But you're right, it is a problem. I'm guessing if it was available on the allroad, it might have made it to the 2010 Q7. Maybe it's a hidden feature, the German Engineers think of everything, just probably wont' tell you. Time for me to go check out my Q again....

-ThinkMac-
Old 11-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lsher

3) override in the door ... i will check on this and report back. i didn't see anything in the book on this.
quick follow-up ...

there are 2 controls in the rear side door sills
1) the black cover has a lock symbol on it. this allows you to lock the car in case of power failure "emergency lock"
2) above the black cover it has a little person symbol (not sure what is does but difficult to engage

nothing else on the doors that will help.

i went to the dealer and spoke with a tech and service rep ... this is the first time they have heard of this but recognize it would be a problem. spent about 30 mins going thru MMI and the controls on the door sill with no luck

i called audi of america support and they opened a complaint case, but said it working as designed and i shouldn't leave my keys in the car. i explained that this is design flow and you should be able to control this somehow via a switch or MMI setting. i hope they make a change in firmware for this but i have no way getting this problem raised.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ithinkmac
I usually rolled the window all the way down if I'm worried about kids locking the door. Prestige package and you can keep the key in your pocket. I also have a 2010 TDI, and didn't even realize this. I also have the Prestige, so it would be moot since I keep the key in my pocket all the time. But you're right, it is a problem. I'm guessing if it was available on the allroad, it might have made it to the 2010 Q7. Maybe it's a hidden feature, the German Engineers think of everything, just probably wont' tell you. Time for me to go check out my Q again....

-ThinkMac-
good point ... i'll make sure my wife rolls the window down in the future ... makes it a pain in cold/bad weather.

you're right ... that is one good part about the Prestige. I didn't want the Prestige 'cause my kids like to sit in the front seat hit the ***** and dials and i was worried that they would start the car.

thanks for the feedback
Old 11-12-2009, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

So, having the prestige package is good, but for many, the Q is driven by the mommies, and they carry the keys in their purse.

So, same scenerio, wife went out to load the strollers, but one of the babies kicked the lock from the back.

Luckily, this occurred in the garage, and she had quick access to my keys.

But, this is pretty silly oversight.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

You can't start the car without key in very close proximity, and foot on brake. So not easy for kids to start it.

I was standing by the driver, buddy put foot on brake, hit the "start engine" button, and the car reply, key not within proximity, engine will not start, or something to that effect.

I'm standing right next to the door, so maybe a foot away from the button. Not sure what the threshold is, but I thought that was pretty close, and it would have started, but no dice.

Zerophat, correct on the keys in purse situation. Wife is the same. Wow, now I'm curious as to a solution on this unique problem.

-ThinkMac-
Old 11-12-2009, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default This scares Dana Abboud

Can be kind of dangerous, no? I mean, kids locked in the car? Geez...

- Dana Abboud

Quick Reply: disabling the door lock button on the rear doors