A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 allroad, produced from 2012-present

Allroad gas mileage hit 31 - 32 MPG after 8,500 mile, 500+ miles range on 1 gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Allroad gas mileage hit 31 - 32 MPG after 8,500 mile, 500+ miles range on 1 gas tank

I went on a road trip from NC to Key West Florida.
I always put full tank and when the tank is almost empty I check how many miles I traveled and how much I filled up.

The first refill happened when I covered 408 miles, refilled with 13.2 gal (30.9 MPG)
I then covered another 176 miles, refilled with 5.5 gal (that's 32 MPG)
On the way back, did 414 miles and there was still 45 miles left, I refilled w 13.2 gallons (31.3 MPG). I was doing 70 - 100 MPH on the highway, more like 75 MPH average.

On the trip back from Florida to NC, it's the first time I am seeing 510 - 520 miles as my full mileage range on one full tank of gas. I never thought I'd see the 500+ mileage range. Here's a picture showing that I still have 465 miles to go and I have already traveled 45 miles. So, 465 + 45 = 510 mile range. Pretty awesome. And I was driving an average of 75 - 80 MPH. Now when I went 85 - 98 MPH, it went down to 480 - 490 mile range. I really think if I maintain 65 - 70 MPH speed, I could cover 500 miles on 1 full tank on my allroad till gas runs out.

I didn't feel tired driving the allroad for 8 - 9 hours for 2 successive days!

Last edited by ayap; 08-17-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are VERY solid numbers--- and make sense given the area you were driving. I just got home from a trip myself. My family resides in Cleveland, Ohio-- took the wife/kid to visit my brother and his family in Annapolis, Maryland. The two fillups are on Fuelly just like yours:

8/16/2014 - 370 miles - 12.55 gallons - 29.48 MPG
8/17/2014 - 380 miles - 13.35 gallons - 28.46 MPG

Most of that was around 75-80 MPH driving, but the hills of Pennsylvania really kill the MPG especially because I don't really "use" the lay of the land to help. Just set the cruise, etc. Plus passing people going up the hill is so fun in the 2.0T with the instant torque.... yeah!
Old 08-17-2014, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Oh if you want to check out my Fuelly:
2013 Audi Allroad (Audi allroad) | Fuelly
Old 08-17-2014, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Shaka. The 28 - 29 MPGs were my numbers a few months ago when I went to VA Beach for a road trip. Now, it just jumped up to the 30-32 range. Oh I forgot to say that after I filled up and drove to get that 510 mile range on a tank of gas, I got stuck in 40 minutes of stop-n-go traffic in I-26 before snapping that pic. It was just awesome that the 465 miles did not budge for the entire 40 minutes of stop-n-go traffic. BTW, now I got home, driven around 200+ miles on that fill up, and I was still getting around a 490 - 495 mile range (miles driven + miles remaining) a few minutes before I got home.

I used Shell gas (93 octane) during fill ups, but BP gas (93) at the start of the trip. I didn't know if this helped, but I put one of the those STP fuel injector clean-up on my gas tank before I started on the trip.

My allroad fuelly .. notice the jump on this trip:

2013 Black Allroad (Audi allroad) | Fuelly

Originally Posted by Shaka
Those are VERY solid numbers--- and make sense given the area you were driving. I just got home from a trip myself. My family resides in Cleveland, Ohio-- took the wife/kid to visit my brother and his family in Annapolis, Maryland. The two fillups are on Fuelly just like yours:

8/16/2014 - 370 miles - 12.55 gallons - 29.48 MPG
8/17/2014 - 380 miles - 13.35 gallons - 28.46 MPG

Most of that was around 75-80 MPH driving, but the hills of Pennsylvania really kill the MPG especially because I don't really "use" the lay of the land to help. Just set the cruise, etc. Plus passing people going up the hill is so fun in the 2.0T with the instant torque.... yeah!

Last edited by ayap; 08-18-2014 at 05:19 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

I can easily get in the upper 29's going over the passes or in the mountains. I have repeatedly seen up to 31mpg on a tank of pure highway driving over mountain passes into high plains.

I'm sure the EPA rating of 27 hwy is hurting allroad sales and I have never seen below 28mpg on the highway. 28 is rare still. Despite all of the extra protrusions and power on tap, it is an efficient car.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

wow you guys are getting amazing numbers. though this is my daily and usually sees a lot of stop and go through the city, even on my road trips my best has only been 26mpg

after i added some mods, the mileage has dropped recently to about 20mpg. sigh, the price of having larger/wider wheels.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by lokak
wow you guys are getting amazing numbers. though this is my daily and usually sees a lot of stop and go through the city, even on my road trips my best has only been 26mpg

after i added some mods, the mileage has dropped recently to about 20mpg. sigh, the price of having larger/wider wheels.
What sort of driving are you doing? 75% of my driving (sometimes more) is freeway. When I recently drove round-trip from Cleveland, Ohio to Baltimore, Maryland the overall MPG was 28-29mpg for that trip. But if the driving I did was just in-town city driving, I'd probably only get 20-21mpg. So keep that in mind when comparing figures.

What mods do you have that have lowered your MPG? According to your Fuelly link, just 20x10 wheels, FMIC, and hoses. I just got my FMIC installed last week, but I don't really see that or hoses making any changes to efficiency. However yes, wheels/tires can definitely hurt. My 20x9 wheels are OEM A6 Forged wheels, so they are rather light. But heavier wheels would hurt. And wider tires can hurt, too. I'm running 255/35-20 tires which are actually TALLER than OEM-- meaning my car is actually getting better MPG than posted because my car is actually travelling further than the odometer thinks based on the circumference. But that is neither here nor there....

Keep on truckin' folks!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I do mainly city driving on my daily commute, but I was averaging around 23-24mpg even prior to my mods. Now, I'm getting around 19-20mpg with the FMIC, intercooler hoses and inlet, GFB diverter valve, and aFe intake.

I'm pretty sure its due to my 20x10 (33lb/wheel) and 275/35-20 tires which I'm sure weighs a lot more and causes a little over 3% difference in the odometer for the increased diameter which I do add to my fuelly mileage.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how much the stock wheel/tire combo weighs? Mine are currently in storage or I'd weigh it myself.

Shaka - love your setup, I would have gone with the same wheels if I didn't have it on my previous A4. How's your ST coilovers holding up? Are you maxed out in the rear height adjustment?
Old 08-27-2014, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by lokak
I do mainly city driving on my daily commute, but I was averaging around 23-24mpg even prior to my mods. Now, I'm getting around 19-20mpg with the FMIC, intercooler hoses and inlet, GFB diverter valve, and aFe intake.

I'm pretty sure its due to my 20x10 (33lb/wheel) and 275/35-20 tires which I'm sure weighs a lot more and causes a little over 3% difference in the odometer for the increased diameter which I do add to my fuelly mileage.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how much the stock wheel/tire combo weighs? Mine are currently in storage or I'd weigh it myself.

Shaka - love your setup, I would have gone with the same wheels if I didn't have it on my previous A4. How's your ST coilovers holding up? Are you maxed out in the rear height adjustment?
Those mods in the first paragraph really should NOT have made the MPG that much worse. Sure the FMIC is probably larger in volume so the boost takes more to fill, but beyond that nothing listed would really make any large difference not 20% like you're seeing.

However, wheels/tires could surely make the difference. I haven't weighed my stock 18s, but I've been getting 23-25mpg around town and 29-32mpg on the freeway, with my 20s. My tires aren't as wide as yours (255/35-20 not 275s)--- but then if that is the case remember you are actually going farther than the car says. So you're actually also getting better MPG-- because Fuelly uses the miles travelled off the odometer, which in your case (and mine) is actually wrong in the favor of better MPGs. You went farther than the car says, because your tire is taller, so circumference is longer, so distance travelled is farther.

That being said the difference there is the same 3% you mentioned. Not the 20% difference you are talking about (19 vs 24). Something seems odd to me there but that is just my thinking especially since I'm getting better figures. Where are you located? Elevation makes a huge difference. What sort of driving style gets those MPGs? What elevation from sea level? And what octane fuel are you getting? I am in Cleveland, Ohio using 93 octane fuel only, FYI.

Love my ST coils-- they are holding up great and really enjoy them. The rears are fully threaded at the max-- they could go up higher but then would only be partially threaded. I do not rub or have any ride height issues-- but if you wanted coils but slightly higher, you could add the spacers ST sells-- but I did not. I'm happy with it... oh and BTW, the wheels I have are not probably the same ones your A4 had-- mine are forged OEM versions. There are many wheels that are the same style that are heavier, though--- but mine being forged are lighter, which may also help my MPGs.

Ciao!
Old 01-08-2015, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

OUr a4 avant with 17's gets 26.4mpg in suburban driving. On the highway avg 65mph she'll will do 32-33mpg. with a heavier foot avg 75 about 30-31.

this also exceeds the EPA estimates. I don't know why they post it so low. we are currently in the process of trading in for a 2015 allroad and thought the newer 8spd auto would be better, or at least off set the 18's that are on it. EPA estimates from what you guys are saying also has underestimated.

My 04' allroad ate tire and was thirstier.

Sure Gas prices are low now but I prefer to continue to be keep our consumption down for ecological and geopolitical reasons. "Fiscal conservative and social liberal"!!!
Call me a centrist!

Quick Reply: Allroad gas mileage hit 31 - 32 MPG after 8,500 mile, 500+ miles range on 1 gas tank