A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 allroad, produced from 2012-present

brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake dust

How does one combat brake dust? Never seen so much. Wheels are chalky black very quickly. U would think Audi would address this. Look at the wheels of Audi's on the road. Its not hard to find black dusty wheels. When its time to replace brake pads are there any options? Do not have this issue with my infiniti Qx56.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

A few ways.

You can use an eco-friendly cleaner such as Griot's Garage Wheel Cleaner, 35 Ounces - Griot's Garage

You can apply a glaze to clean wheels to help resist dust buildup, such as Detailer's Pro DP Wheel Glaze cleans and protects all types of wheels! Durable wheel polymer wax coating protects wheels from brake dust adhesion and corrosion.

Or, you can install low dust brake pads such as Akebono Euro, http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...r=Premium+Plus

The low dust pads are of course the best option as it eliminates the problem at the source. But note that ceramic-composite pads have slightly lower braking ability, especially when cold (yet better resist fade). "All design is compromise."

My wife's Caddy ATS must have come with ceramic pads as virtually no dust. Her prior Lexus however regularly blackened the wheels, especially the more used front. Being a heavy wagon that longs for the ski slopes Audi must have decided to opt for maximum braking capability in all climes for the Allroad.

Last edited by Huey52; 09-28-2014 at 03:14 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

German cars are notorious for producing a lot of brake dust. The OEM pads are designed for excellent daily driver use, but the dust is the price you pay. I will put a German car brake system up against a Japanese car brake system any day on a performance level.

There are a number of excellent aftermarket pads out there that will give you great performance and lower dust ---- search the forums ----- it's a very hot topic.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Agree with TREG. They puke brake dust but they stop without trouble.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:21 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 358 Likes on 232 Posts

I upgraded to Hawk ceramic pads a couple of months ago and that made a huge difference. Didn't make any other changes (rotors, calipers), just the pads.

For aesthetics I'm getting Stoptech slotted rotors next week and having my stock calipers painted at the same time...
Old 10-20-2014, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I used Hawk Performance ceramic-composite pads on my RX-8 while auto-crossing and they were very good at resisting fade as well as low dust. I did go thru their rather specific "bedding-in" procedure however.

Originally Posted by PWDRSKR
I upgraded to Hawk ceramic pads a couple of months ago and that made a huge difference. Didn't make any other changes (rotors, calipers), just the pads.

For aesthetics I'm getting Stoptech slotted rotors next week and having my stock calipers painted at the same time...