A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 allroad, produced from 2012-present

To buy or skip - due to slight damage

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To buy or skip - due to slight damage

So I found a 2013, premium plus with nav at my local non-audi dealer. Price is reasonable, has 10k miles and was a return from a corp audi rep. Here's my dilemma...

The passenger side rocker panel has a big dent and is pushed in, looks like it rolled over a curb. There is also a dent in the rear side quarter panel that they supposedly fixed but the paint is bubbled. Both are not noticeable but I'm worried about the paint over time and if this will show on future carfaxes. Right now the carfax is clean.

The dealer assured me they would fix all like new, but is it worth it? Should I still do the deal?
Old 08-19-2014, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of questions I'd ask are, why would a Audi corporate rep turn his car into a non-Audi dealership? Also, why wasn't the rocker panel fixed either by the rep or at least the dealership before turning it in, or trying to sell it?
Old 08-19-2014, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Those are good questions! I thought maybe the rep owned the car? The damage wasn't seen by the dealer who purchased it (are they blind!?!?!) or it happened on the lot.

When I got there, they just pulled it into their parking garage to make friends with the other used audi's. This place is a VW dealer with a used car lot. They have a huge turnover rate for audi sales
Old 08-19-2014, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetsurly
This place is a VW dealer with a used car lot.
May we conclude that this is not a CPO car?

That would quickly put it out of play for me.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well it still has warranty until mid 2016. The dealer said the CPO doesn't cover anything other than drivetrain and motor. Electronics are not covered aka MMI
Old 08-20-2014, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

The dealer said the CPO doesn't cover anything other than drivetrain and motor.
Originally Posted by AudiUSA

What is covered:

The following items have Audi Certified pre-owned Limited Warranty coverage on authorized repairs to correct a manufacturer's defect in materials or workmanship. This list is not inclusive. See your Audi service representative for specific items.

• Engine - block, pistons, connecting rods, crankshaft, oil pump, flywheel, (non-clutch related failure), camshaft, timing chain/timing belts (if maintenance interval is followed), cylinder heads and their mechanical components, ECM and associated wiring.
  • Cooling system - radiator, radiator fan, expansion tank, coolant pump and impeller, actuation and indicator switches, thermostat, coolant pipes.
  • Fuel system - fuel tank, fuel tank cap, fuel filler, fuel pump, fuel pump relays, accumulator, fuel lines, accelerator switches and cables, intake manifold, idle air stabilizer, mass air flow sensor
  • Automatic transmission - selector lever and mechanism, Tiptronic switches and controls, transmission control module, transmission speed sensor, mounts, multi-function switch, shift lever lock and associated switches, all planetary gears and bearings, all internal clutches, all internal brake bands, atf cooler, transmission housing, valve body, governor, torque converter, valve body, valve body electrical
  • Manual transmission - gearshift lever, gearshift block, gearshift cable, transmission housing, transmission mounts, internal shift rods, internal shift forks, main shaft, all internal bearings and bushings, all synchronizers, all gear sets
  • Final drive - prop shafts (not CV joints or boots), prop shaft flanges, differential case, drive shaft bearings, bearing housing, differential locks, all-wheel drive internal components, speedometer gear, differential bearings, oil pump, haldex components.
  • Suspension - front axle sub frame, control arm supports, control arms (bushings subject to wear), wheel bearing housing, steering knuckle, front wheel hub, coil springs, stabilizer bar, stabilizer links, rear axle beam and support, stub axles, rear bearings and housings, rear springs.
  • Brakes - ABS hydraulic pump and lines, warning and regulating switches, ABS control unit, all ABS wiring harnesses, ABS relays, master cylinder, fluid reservoir, parking brake and all associated lever switches and cables, pressure regulators, pressure accumulators, all hydraulic lines and hoses, vacuum pump and hoses, front and rear calipers and mounts (not for seizing from corrosion), power assist vacuum/hydraulic unit
  • Steering - upper and lower steering shafts, steering column, steering column adjustment mechanism, steering gear, power steering pump, all associated hydraulic hoses and pipes, all associated bearings.
  • Climate controls - heater control cables and valves, heater core, ambient sensor, fresh air controls and cables, fresh air blower motor, distribution ducts and outlets, all vacuum motors, a/c control unit, all associated a/c wiring, interior sensors, a/c compressor and clutch, a/c compressor relay, a./c switches and sensors, a/c receiver drier, accumulator, a/c condenser, a/c expansion valve
  • Electrical - speedometer and sensors, odometer, tachometer, temperature gauges, horns, windshield wiper motor and associated sensor, windshield washer reservoir, fluid level sensor, headlight washer pump and associated components, headlight switch, brake light switch, turn signal switch, emergency flasher switch, door switches, back up light switch, fog light switch, alarm system components, wiring harnesses and connectors (non-modified by aftermarket installations), cruise control components, starter, alternator, ignition coils, ignition locks and electrical components, knock sensors, voltage regulators, distributor assemblies, infrared entry receiver (not for battery replacement), power door actuators and associated switches, sunroof motor, sunroof switches and relays, convertible top hydraulic motor and associated wiring, window regulator assemblies and motors, power window switches and associated wiring, side view mirror motors and associated wiring, sun shade motor, air bag sensors and warning lights and associated components, air bags, seat motors and heating elements and their relays
Jet, I guess you'd have to decide if any of these items are important to you.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Damage does not sound "slight" to me.
On the other hand, 10,000 miles is low.
On the other hand (?LOL) at least 2 smallish accidents, one poorly repaired
On the other hand (?LOL again) still factory warranty

I'd pass and look for something less questionable
Old 08-21-2014, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Uber, thanks for posting that. I wonder why the dealer would say electrical isn't covered. Other than him being a "know it all *****".

Good call Ski.

I'm just not sure what to do. Is it a risk? Yes. Does the car have everything I want? Yes. Will I find a new one before winter or before my car depreciates even more? No clue.

Here are the pics of the damage...

Old 08-21-2014, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yep, dealer just called now, said the car is perfect. I decided not to pull the trigger and the dealer went on to make me feel bad. Great customer service LOL.

I need to feel 100% when buying a car, and the dealer should have noticed these issues before they bought it!
Old 08-21-2014, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, dealer just called now, said the car is perfect. I decided not to pull the trigger and the dealer went on to make me feel bad. Great customer service LOL.

I need to feel 100% when buying a car, and the dealer should have noticed these issues before they bought it!
With the various questions etc., it was probably a good move to make. I'm sure another one will surface that is better for you. Good luck.