A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 allroad, produced from 2012-present

Chance to Purchase an Accidented 2014 AllRoad

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chance to Purchase an Accidented 2014 AllRoad

Hello All,

I don't own an Audi, but I may own one in the near future.

I came across a deal on a 2014 Allroad Technic with only 28000 kms.

The guy is selling it for $29,900 Canadian ($21,900 USD).

The warranty on it is voided as a result of the accident. I called Audi to try to figure out why, and they said that when they did the math, it was cheaper to just give the client a new car.

The vendor bought it accidented and did most of the repair himself...

Obviously I know this is a risk that can either pay off, or burn me.

He sent me pics of the car before the repairs. The repair work is clean as far as I can tell. The accidents don't seem like anything more than cosmetic.

I can do basic repairs myself, oil change, filters etc. I don't yet have an Audi guy I can go see when it comes time to make repairs.

So should I jump, or is is too much of a gamble.
Attached Thumbnails Chance to Purchase an Accidented 2014 AllRoad-img_8547.png   Chance to Purchase an Accidented 2014 AllRoad-img_8550.png  
Attached Images    
Old 12-14-2015, 08:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The warranty on it is voided as a result of the accident. I called Audi to try to figure out why, and they said that when they did the math, it was cheaper to just give the client a new car.
Hi,

I'm a bit confused as to why Audi warranty has anything to do with this. The manufacturer warranty is for defects the vehicle may have under an agreed term of years and/or kilometres. The warranty will repair these defects or replace the vehicle at no cost to the owner within this term.

As far as I know accidents are not covered under a warranty. This would fall under the previous owner's insurance policy. It's possible the insurance company deemed the vehicle a loss, the cost of repair was worth more than the vehicle's worth. Here in Manitoba, "Salvageable" write-offs can have collision damage, or structural damage, or both. They can be made roadworthy again with the proper repairs and inspections. Depending on the extent of damage, this can be very expensive. “Irreparable” write-offs can’t be put back on the road. The vehicle is considered irreparable if it’s wrecked beyond safe repair.

As far as the warranty, Audi will not honour it because it was declared a loss (salvage title) by the previous owner's insurance company. I don't understand why Audi warranty would tell you they (Audi) decided to replace the vehicle.

Last edited by cjv-baires; 12-16-2015 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Interesting first post. So simply put, based upon the damage to the vehicle, it's been totaled. The reason Audi won't warranty it because it's been declared a total loss, hence Audi will not touch it with a 10 foot pole. The car may be cheap, but some of that damage can be far from superficial. Take a look at the first picture, the bumper bracket looks to be damaged and bent.

You are buying a vehicle which may be structurally compromised and there's no way that thing has a clean title associated with it. As cjv stated...this is something I would be cautious about and the value of a totaled vehicle can be 50% the value of a clean one, since many folks won't touch it and insurance can be an entirely other matter. Personally, I would pass on this car, since I just helped my dad get a 14 Q5 CPO 3.0T w/7 yr 160km warranty and Audi Care for only about $13K more than what this total AR is selling for.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't buy it. I won't pay $9,000 for it.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 44 Posts

Audis, or any German car for that matter, are not inexpensive to repair. As others have said there could be hidden structural damage that would be more costly to fix than the car is worth. You could be setting yourself up for a world of hurt. I'd pass and find a clean CPO.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 329 Likes on 278 Posts

Yes, you should pass as said by my predecessors. You want your first Audi to be a good one. No accidents, clean CARFAX, clean everything, no leaks, no maintenance missed. Go for a certified pre-owned if you can't afford a new one.