A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 allroad, produced from 2012-present

Trailer hitch install on 2014 Prestige

Old 10-27-2015, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uggh, i was so psyched, thought I had found a solution to my towing problem.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I don't want this thread to die and was hoping to get some more opinions on options available. I have what looks like (3) potential options, none verified beyond phone calls and research, but they look to be different than was is discussed here.

First off Big props to Deano for taking the first plunge in figuring this out!

Background: I ride MTB a lot and also have a dirtbike and want to run a hitch rack / trailer. For me it has really come down to either A) figuring this out or B) buying something that CAN tow and/or a truck. Prior to purchasing he car I researched it’s towing capacities, which I believe we listed at 1000 lbs and the salesman indicated they were rated to tow, cool so I thought.

Hitch option: I decided on the Torklift ecohitch, which looks like a much cleaner setup than the curt. Ruled out the Euro/Westy hitch due to needing a receiver for my bike rack. I inquired with Torklift about potentially making a higher clearance model since they custom make hitches as well, no problem on their end, just means I need to cut up my $800 stainless lower valence.

Torklift Central | 2013-2014 Audi allroad EcoHitch

Installed on an A4 Avant for reference:

Torklift Eurohitch - Review and Experiences

On to the options:

Option #1: OEM. Every dealer I spoke with said no way and they wouldn’t touch the car and it’s wiring. I happened to be on AudiUSA parts and came across this:

https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi_201...K0907383E.html

Seems to only call out A4/A5/S5 in the notes, but the search function calls it out for an allroad. It’s expensive, but not ridiculous.

Option #2: Etrailer harness. Called out for an allroad and (apparently) requires no splicing. Spoke to the guys on the phone and they seem to think it wouldn’t be a problem.

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...leid=201544280

Option #3: I spoke to Torklift about not only doing the install but also the wiring. They said no problem, they have done it. Not sure exactly what that means, but they seem to do a clean job installing the hitches.

Torklift Central | 2013-2014 Audi allroad EcoHitch

The dealerships said that the minute you splice / cut into the factor harness you warranty is toast on the electrical system, which is a big reason why Option #1 / #2 make the most sense. Not sure what Option #3 entails.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

WOW, what an ordeal (; too bad Westfalia did not post more details about audi's and all-rods on their site (;

i wonder if execuchitch/invisihitch has the same issue.
i know that their invisible hitch work on a q5, but that is a different vehicle.

good luck and keep us posted
Old 05-12-2016, 06:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm going to become the test case on the Audi trailer computer module. I've been working with Sunset Audi of Beaverton, Oregon since my car was new to arrive at a wiring solution for my 2014 allroad Prestige trim level.
I have ordered the -E part, which they say is compatible with my car. I'm having them install it Wednesday May 18 and will keep you posted. It lists for $451. I am getting it for well under that because of all the money I've thrown at it (and them) over the years. If it doesn't work they will uninstall it and I won't be charged for the part. I'm bringing my Westfalia double bike rack with me since it has full taillight, brake light & turn signal integral, allowing them to check functionality right on the spot. "News at 11"

Old 05-14-2016, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, Deano, for the update. I look forward to hearing how you make out.

2014 Allroad P+, Glacier White/Titanium, Full paint, Sport package, Nav, Audi Advanced Key, B&O, Rear Camera, Side Assist.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looking forward to see how this works out as well.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The dealer doesn't know what code to put into the car for it to interface with the computer module. anyone know what it might be?
Old 05-19-2016, 12:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update - failure! The car refuses to recognize the Audi sourced trailering module and throws all kinds of errors. They have talked to Audi USA and a couple of local long code programmers who declined to assist, citing the possibility of screwing up more stuff than they solve.
I have no idea why their parts website says it's compatible, when clearly it isn't - yet. IF someone here can provide the codes to make them play nice together I will buy it again and try it. Otherwise I'm moving on to one of the simpler less than $100 trailer wiring adapters from CURT or ???
Old 05-19-2016, 02:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here is what the work invoice says: "SVM server will not allow programming of various control modules due to the fact that this accessory is not available in the US market. It cannot be coded without the long coding values which we do not have access to."

Anyone out there who can give a listing of the long codes for each module will be my hero.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Deano K.
Here is what the work invoice says: "SVM server will not allow programming of various control modules due to the fact that this accessory is not available in the US market. It cannot be coded without the long coding values which we do not have access to."

Anyone out there who can give a listing of the long codes for each module will be my hero.
Have you looked into the E-trailer harness? From my post above:

Option #2: Etrailer harness. Called out for an allroad and (apparently) requires no splicing. Spoke to the guys on the phone and they seem to think it wouldn’t be a problem.

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...leid=201544280

Seems like it may be a clean and sano setup.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trailer hitch install on 2014 Prestige