A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 allroad, produced from 2012-present

Used - Prestige vs Premium +; '13 vs '14 --- CPO?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used - Prestige vs Premium +; '13 vs '14 --- CPO?

I am looking at picking up a 2013. There is a Prestige with no additional options and a Premium + with B&O. Roughly same miles (<20K), Premium+ has CPO, Prestige does not. I'm guessing I can get the Prestige for $1k cheaper. Is there anything about the Prestige that would make it in any way "better" than a Premium +, with the options as I described? If not, doesn't it make more sense to spend $1000 for CPO?

Other question -- I see that the 2014 makes 20 more HP - anybody care to comment on whether this makes a real life difference?

And happy to hear any other views on the car. I had a 2007 S8 which is the best (for me) car I've ever had. I had an A6 which I found really boring. I'm attracted to the all road due to interior/B&O and the ability to put my bicycle in the back.

Thanks
Old 05-01-2015, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

CPO likely assures you that it's in a condition that we enthusiasts would appreciate. Also the extended warranty that's part of CPO is of value down the road.

I've always felt that an optioned P+ is a better value, if of course it includes options you actually want. The B&O for one is an outstanding system.

This is my second 211 hp 2.0T and I find it perfectly adequate in daily use. Put in Sport mode it still surprises me. Having said that, more is most always better (for the top end anyway; but I believe it's only from 211 to 220). The hefty torque is more useful daily and that has not increased to my knowledge. This award winning engine takes a tune very well if you get the itch. APR, et al.

As far as versatility, I've been carrying a multitude of stuff of late, from lawnmower to gas grille to Winter rims and it swallows it all effortlessly.

I have just hit 20k miles and no issues whatsoever.

Last edited by Huey52; 05-01-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks very much. Having had the chance to actually look at the two cars, I'm leaning towards the Prestige - it is Phantom Black over Chestnut with the Sport Package. The Premium + is Brilliant Black over Black, non-Sport. I liked the sport seats and the black headliner of the Prestige and I found the Phantom/Chestnut to be unusual and attractive. And the service records of the Prestige looked solid - regular maintenance and a new tire from a nail puncture, nothing else. And it has AudiCare, not a huge value but something. So, even though I think the CPO is of value, I will probably go for aesthetics of the Prestige - assuming I can knock him down a bit more
Old 05-02-2015, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Sounds like a plan. The Chestnut is very rich looking and the Sport seats are a nice addition as well (had them in my A5). The B&O I believe is included in the '13 Prestige package, so win-win.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe with the Prestige, as standard equipment you'll get the adaptive headlights (I find them definitely cool, questionably useful, but there's no denying they're there on curvy roads), and the blind spot assist (great feature IMHO and nicely implemented compared to the standard LED indicator on many vehicles).

My big "must have" was the paddle shifters, which I assume are part of the Sport Package? A lot of salesmen and friends have dismissed the paddles saying "you'll never use them" and "you have Tiptronic, you don't need them."

But my wife and I have been exclusively manual transmission drivers until last summer, with the exception of our 3-year old Flex. The Flex has paddles, my TSX wagon (replaced my manual Subaru last summer) had paddles, and now so does my allroad (which replaced the TSX). I'm on the paddles all the time. The Audi 8-speed is smooth and usually shifts just fine, but it doesn't downshift so well. The paddles are great for managing speed on hills, decelerating on freeway off ramps, and occasionally for dropping a gear when chugging up a hill.

I don't really go to the Tiptronic shifting unless I'm slogging through slow moving freeway traffic, just to keep from tapping the brakes.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

my DD is a manual. 8spd tip makes manual mode mostly useless to me. We have them and I never use them.

I have taken a few trips on some intense mountail switchbacks and find the Sport mode really kept the car poised to where I did not need to really work them. If the trans was a double clutch I could see the purpose. I have used the paddles a few times when I wanted to really dial it in but you can do this on the shifter just as easy.

Buying used I would seek out the best car because the one with more amenities but might have service issues or higher miliage might be more annoying. That said, I think the prestige with the brown interior would be my choice. Im a sucker for that color leather! Its in my DD. Wife did not want two cars with similar colors. Allroad is hers so she gets to pick the color!