A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

2017 Power Folding Side Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
There are two schools of thought when it comes to running/breaking in an engine. One is where they say keep the rpms low. The other is where they say keep varying the rpms but don't keep it low. (That's just a rough explanation; proper methods can be found using google)

I'm a fan of the second method. I've broken in all my cars by the second method and none of my cars have had any problems whatsoever. Which is why I follow it. But since owners manuals mention the first method, that will work too. To each his own.
Low RPMs are for old engines with loose tolerances.

Modern day engines get redlined at the factory. At least that's what we did when I worked at Yamaha.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by breadbooze
Low RPMs are for old engines with loose tolerances.

Modern day engines get redlined at the factory. At least that's what we did when I worked at Yamaha.
That's what the guys I bought my cars from told me (VW and Audi). But since the manual supposedly mentions about keeping rpms low, I thought people would flame me for saying that here.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was what convinced me. This guy makes some good points, but I have absolutely no experience, expertise or knowledge of the subject. I'm relegated to trying to sort out the differing advice from people who do.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Fortunate1
This was what convinced me. This guy makes some good points, but I have absolutely no experience, expertise or knowledge of the subject. I'm relegated to trying to sort out the differing advice from people who do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oklqJnm7_TY
I like his videos too and it makes sense.

But my point is. I've been told by various VAG dealers that their cars are already broken in at the factory. I'm not sure whether it is true or not but every single one of them (even in different countries such as here, India, Oman, UK) I've spoken to said the same thing. And thus, they said there was no need for a specific break-in procedure.
I've even redlined some of my cars straight out of the showroom (I can hear some of you gasp) but those cars are still with me and going perfectly fine with no problems whatsoever.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bob m
Can I ask a newbie question out of curiosity? What is the advantage of a European delivery over a traditional dealer sourced and bought car?
I'm doing it because (a) I've heard a ton of great feedback about the experience, and (b) because I have some time off, and some airmiles to burn!

It was nice getting the 5% discount without having to negotiate, although I'm sure that steeper discounts may be possible for a regular purchase with a bit of banter.

Also, it's a holiday I might not have done otherwise, with the bonus of getting to drive / photograph my new car in some of the more interesting parts of Eastern Europe. I'm taking a buddy and we'll make a great week of it.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
I like his videos too and it makes sense.

But my point is. I've been told by various VAG dealers that their cars are already broken in at the factory. I'm not sure whether it is true or not but every single one of them (even in different countries such as here, India, Oman, UK) I've spoken to said the same thing. And thus, they said there was no need for a specific break-in procedure.
I've even redlined some of my cars straight out of the showroom (I can hear some of you gasp) but those cars are still with me and going perfectly fine with no problems whatsoever.
Took delivery of a new AR couple weeks ago and the Sales Rep told me to take it easy for the first 500 miles. It maybe more of a safety concern of not being familiar with controls and how the car responds ...than actual need to "break-in" the engine...
Old 04-02-2017, 11:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

A few observations...

- While every new engine is tested at the factory, they are not all run for an equivalent 500 miles.
- There is more to the mechanicals than just the engine, i.e. transmission, suspension, brakes, etc.
- Audi's break-in recommendations in the manual are there for a reason - after many years of investment in research, development and refinement, seemingly the company who designed and manufacture the cars would know best.