A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

A4 Allroad - Family Duty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watched the review yesterday and was excited as it felt like it was intended for me. I believe at one point he referred to the car as having a twin turbo 2.0 engine. Did anyone else catch that? Also the whole Ultra quattro kicking in permanently at lower temperatures had me scratching my head! Overall I enjoyed the review and I think it was the second one I've watched from him. My Allroad is on order and looks like I made the right choice.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by formulacarl
My dealer told me that cold weather was a condition that engaged quattro full time.
I just did a 400 mile highway trip yesterday in 30-35F degree weather that was boringly straight and was able to get 33mpg. Is this in line with what the "normal" quattros on the sedans are getting for highway? I'll be curious to see what kind of straight highway mileage I get in warmer weather to compare.

I was also told that putting it into Offroad and Dynamic Modes, or Sport locks up the clutch for the drive shaft to keep it in quattro full time.

Your dealer could be correct about cold weather triggering full time Quattro, but I have never heard of that, but it is certainly engaged by road conditions, irrespective of temperatures. I also have only heard that putting it in Offroad, not Dynamic, places it in FT Quattro. Maybe I'm mistaken? Allroad mpg MPG: 23 city / 28 highway. What means of obtaining that info are you using? If just going by the readouts from the MMI, it will be way off. Best way to measure accurately is to fill her up, drive until you need a refill and notice the amount of gas it takes to fill up. Take the total miles driven since last fill up and divide by the number of gallons and your done.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ah. good point about the mpg reading. I was going by MMI this time. I'll get the gas fill up number when I get home next week. (Flying to MT now. I seriously wish that my allroad was waiting for me there :-)

I had a done a similar trip before and it was right at 30 based on the fill up number.

and congrats on the new car!
Old 01-28-2017, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Ah. good point about the mpg reading. I was going by MMI this time. I'll get the gas fill up number when I get home next week. (Flying to MT now. I seriously wish that my allroad was waiting for me there :-)

I had a done a similar trip before and it was right at 30 based on the fill up number.

and congrats on the new car!
Thanks and yep, the reading tend to be overly optimistic. But even at 26-28 mpg on the highway, that's pretty decent.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealer told me that cold weather was a condition that engaged quattro full time.
I just did a 400 mile highway trip yesterday in 30-35F degree weather that was boringly straight and was able to get 33mpg. Is this in line with what the "normal" quattros on the sedans are getting for highway? I'll be curious to see what kind of straight highway mileage I get in warmer weather to compare.

I was also told that putting it into Offroad and Dynamic Modes, or Sport locks up the clutch for the drive shaft to keep it in quattro full time.
There are other variables to consider as well with cold weather and warm weather. Fuels are different in winter and summer, for starters. During winter, you are more likely to encounter windy conditions which could effect mileage. The viscosity of the engine oil and other lubricants could vary.

It would take a very carefully controlled experiment to calculate the difference in mileage between Ultra and standard Quattro, and draw any meaningful conclusions.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:10 AM
Banned

Good to know your opinion guys because I have two small children also, 5 and 6 yearls old..
Old 02-02-2017, 03:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Finally some practicality pics

Last night I was finally able to get some decent photos of the car seats in place and also of me sitting in the front seats for knee room reference.

Again, I'm 6'1" and this car fits me like a glove... the sport seats help, of course, with that thigh support extension. Hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the pics SlugBug! Should be very helpful to people.

At 6'5", I found a rear facing car seat was iffy for me on the test drive behind the driver's seat (looks like we have the same Britax and even seat protector) but no issue for my shorter wife. Can't do pics as actual car is on order...

As a note to others, strangely enough I found the regular seats more comfortable than the sport seats based on how my long legs were positioned, so I recommend trying both before choosing (rather than assuming as I initially did that the thigh extension must always be better for a tall person).