A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Any Allroaders going w/o front plates

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Any Allroaders going w/o front plates

On my last 2 cars - Macan and 2017 A4, I never attached the front plates - as on those 2 cars the grill is such that the front plate ruins the look of the grill. On my A4 I bought the filler piece, so the grill looked good. I think the grill on the Allroad would not suffer as much looks wise with a front plate, but are there any out there forgoing the front plates and getting the filler pieces?
Old 02-28-2017, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I registered my AR in PA, a single plate state, but it came with a front plate bracket anyway. So I fitted the plate I used in Japan, as the holes oddly lined up for that plate but not US sized plates.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I ordered mine w/o front plate, but it will arrive in about 2 weeks. I'll post pictures then.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I plan on ordering mine without a front plate but will have to run on where in NY (they're sticklers).

I will either reuse my US Millworks Tow Hook Plate Mount or get one that fits the A4 Allroad. Couple pix from my JSW.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, I think I may have been lucky because I ran w/o front plates in NY and NJ for about 10 months - granted, new cars can do that until the reg comes in, but I always said that if I ever got that one ticket, the front plate will go on that day.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
Well, I think I may have been lucky because I ran w/o front plates in NY and NJ for about 10 months - granted, new cars can do that until the reg comes in, but I always said that if I ever got that one ticket, the front plate will go on that day.
The issue is it's an excuse to pull you over. Not that I'm a law breaker or anything but I don't love being pulled over for any reason. It's a hassle. And giving the police an easy excuse to do so just isn't something I want to play with.
Last weekend my wife, six year old and I got pulled over by an officer randomly as we drove by him. He walked up and asked me to roll my window back up slightly and immediately dropped a tint meter on my drivers side window. Mind you, my tint is really pretty minimal (let's in 35% of light) which is the CT legal limit and where I purchased my vehicle. The new laws in NY have gone into effect and inspection stations will now be testing tint and failing you if you're over the limit (which is letting 70% of light in) - a laughable amount of tint - totally absurd. I have a black car with a black interior. The tint on my windows (which really is not accessive by any stretch) helps keep the vehicle cooler and protects my daughter, wife, etc. not to mention I get horrific migraines at times and am very sensitive to light. I think I went off on a tangent here but you get what I'm saying. The front plate being missing is just asking to get pulled over in my opinion. I don't like it either though. Car looks so much better without one.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the two weeks I had a B8.5 allroad loaner from a NJ dealer two months ago, I got crap from a NJ township cop and had to talk my way out of a ticket for no front plate. My dealer understandably didn't have the front plate mounted on the loaner due to cost of bracket and the market (I'm in NJ right outside of Philadelphia, so it could've been sold to someone from no-front-plate-PA pretty easily). I was picking up lunch and the cop parked next to the allroad and I guess waited for me to come out of the Panera Bread I was at. He was a total jerk about it; but I stayed calm, pulled out all of the paperwork I could find in the car, and pointed to the dealer's car ID number on the windshield trying to prove I wasn't at fault for the lack of front plate. Cop eventually decided he'd wasted enough of his time and got back in his cruiser with an unnecessarily stern warning that he told me to pass on to the dealer. Wasn't a big deal in the end, but I'd have been pretty mad if I got a ticket for a car that wasn't mine.

Probably just bad luck on my part, because there are tons of PA cars that run around here with no front plates so I'm surprised the cops even look out for front plates on NJ-tagged cars. Anecdotally, my neighbor has had a NJ-tagged A8L with no front plate for a few years and said he's never had an issue with the cops.

Last edited by Q-Branch; 02-28-2017 at 08:07 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-28-2017, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Fantasiamon
The issue is it's an excuse to pull you over. Not that I'm a law breaker or anything but I don't love being pulled over for any reason. It's a hassle. And giving the police an easy excuse to do so just isn't something I want to play with.
Last weekend my wife, six year old and I got pulled over by an officer randomly as we drove by him. He walked up and asked me to roll my window back up slightly and immediately dropped a tint meter on my drivers side window. Mind you, my tint is really pretty minimal (let's in 35% of light) which is the CT legal limit and where I purchased my vehicle. The new laws in NY have gone into effect and inspection stations will now be testing tint and failing you if you're over the limit (which is letting 70% of light in) - a laughable amount of tint - totally absurd. I have a black car with a black interior. The tint on my windows (which really is not accessive by any stretch) helps keep the vehicle cooler and protects my daughter, wife, etc. not to mention I get horrific migraines at times and am very sensitive to light. I think I went off on a tangent here but you get what I'm saying. The front plate being missing is just asking to get pulled over in my opinion. I don't like it either though. Car looks so much better without one.
Yep, good points.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my last 2 cars - Macan and 2017 A4, I never attached the front plates - as on those 2 cars the grill is such that the front plate ruins the look of the grill. On my A4 I bought the filler piece, so the grill looked good. I think the grill on the Allroad would not suffer as much looks wise with a front plate, but are there any out there forgoing the front plates and getting the filler pieces?
When I ordered my Allroad, I selected the option for front plate delete. What does that mean? Does it come with a filler plate?
Old 02-28-2017, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blorzoga
When I ordered my Allroad, I selected the option for front plate delete. What does that mean? Does it come with a filler plate?
Yes. The filler plate (two in this case) are already there. Audi was smart in the design on this car to have one grille design whether a front plate is required or not.

Quick Reply: Any Allroaders going w/o front plates