A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Carbon buildup

Old 02-20-2017, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the contrary, it is expensive. The intake manifold does not just pop off. There is a lot of interference to be removed--fuel lines, etc. it is very labor intensive so probably several hundred dollars. With respct to detergent gasoline it does not help the back side of the valves because it does not come in contact with them. Also it seems that much of the carbon comes from crankcase ventilation.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by edbrady@mac.com
On the contrary, it is expensive. The intake manifold does not just pop off. There is a lot of interference to be removed--fuel lines, etc. it is very labor intensive so probably several hundred dollars.
True, but the cost is considerably less than the old method of removing the manifolds and soaking them in a cleaning solution for a couple of days. That process is significantly more labor intensive and costly than the $400-$500 of a walnut pressure cleaning.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
Thanks. Is this something Audi service can do? I can't imagine it wouldn't be expensive, but I'm guessing. Wouldn't using the best of the top tier gasolines also go a long way in reducing carbon buildup?
The buildup comes from the lubrication of the valve stems that causes particles in the intake air stream or blowback from the combustion process to stick and burn in minute quantities. Detergent gasolines can't help much since the fuel is sprayed directly into the combustion chamber in DI as opposed to older port injection systems where the air/fuel mix happens just before the intake valves and thus exposing the valves to the detergents. Particulates in the intake air on DI engines come from the crank case vent and EGR, so using a catch can for the CCV and a EGR delete could minimize buildup, though the car would fail emissions.

Audi service can do the work, I believe it's 3-4 hours T&M.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is sounding a little better. I watched a video on the soaking method which seems quite laborious. I recall from Navy days that crushed walnut shells were fed into a running turboprop engine on P3s. I also read a piece from a UK source suggesting again that operating at 3000 rpm occasionally will help and noting that slower turning V8 DI engines experience carbon more often. Thanks for all the helpful posts.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by edbrady@mac.com
This is sounding a little better. I watched a video on the soaking method which seems quite laborious. I recall from Navy days that crushed walnut shells were fed into a running turboprop engine on P3s.
Just to clarify, the walnut shell process on a DI engine is done without the motor running. In fact, great pains must be taken to avoid any of the shells from entering the open ports before cleaning and after the shells are vacuumed out. I can't imagine what would happen to the valves if there were shells remaining when the engine was started.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Of course. I was commenting hust on the cleaning effects of the shells, not the process. Thanks for clarifying.