A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

"Hello" from a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I flipped my seats down this morning, and removed the roll-up divider screen, and the sliding luggage cover. I have to say- I was surprised how much roomier it looks that way. So when you see one in person, remove all that crap and fold the seats down.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All--
Thanks much for the welcome and certainly appreciate everyone's comment.

Breadbooze --
Wow, really appreciate the offer of coming to Pittsburgh. Will let you know. Very kind of you. I certainly appreciated the driving dynamics of Bimmers and am hopeful Audi will bring me much of the same.

I called a couple of dealers in Pittsburgh, but no luck so far. As I will be visiting DC in a few weeks, I even called a dealer in DC, which is suppose to get some inventory in a couple of weeks. Also, as I do travel to Dallas (may be moving back to late spring/summer), I may try the dealers there.

I will likely do more demos of the Volvo V90 Cross Country. It's got an interesting motor, and also has some interesting design features. Though, the dealer experience has been average so far.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

For me, driving a B9 A4 was enough for me to know that the Allroad was right for me. You should be able to catch an Allroad at a regional car show, to sit inside.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'll echo what everyone else has said. My last vehicle was a 2015 MDX and it was really convenient to drop the back seats and shove the bikes in. Not quite as easy with the Allroad but I love the new car. One thing I'd add to other commenters is that you should throw your bike in the back of your MDX and drive to the dealer to look. Take the bike out and see how it actually fits in the Audi (assuming your bike's clean and the dealer lets you). No substitute for the real world action.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Fortunate1
I'll echo what everyone else has said. My last vehicle was a 2015 MDX and it was really convenient to drop the back seats and shove the bikes in. Not quite as easy with the Allroad but I love the new car. One thing I'd add to other commenters is that you should throw your bike in the back of your MDX and drive to the dealer to look. Take the bike out and see how it actually fits in the Audi (assuming your bike's clean and the dealer lets you). No substitute for the real world action.
Thanks for the input, Fortunate1. Besides the driving dynamics, how are you finding the transition from MDX to Allroad?
Old 03-29-2017, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by justaute
Thanks for the input, Fortunate1. Besides the driving dynamics, how are you finding the transition from MDX to Allroad?
It's been great! All smiles so far, though I'm having some trouble adjusting to the different control protocols. Small stuff like the sound volume and display thumbwheels are on the opposite side from what I'm used to. The Audi feels more planted than the Acura, combination of ride height, size and chassis (firmer and feels like less suspension travel). Thought I might miss the larger fuel tank on the Acura (~20 gallons) since the highway mileage rating is only a tick better, but real-world mileage has been a pleasant surprise for me.

And I do miss some of the storage - not necessarily cargo volume, which I rarely tested, but the larger center console box (big enough for my laptop or iPad or both) and my pet nit is no sunglass compartment in the overhead. Even my (smaller) Infiniti coupe had one.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's been great! All smiles so far, though I'm having some trouble adjusting to the different control protocols. Small stuff like the sound volume and display thumbwheels are on the opposite side from what I'm used to. The Audi feels more planted than the Acura, combination of ride height, size and chassis (firmer and feels like less suspension travel). Thought I might miss the larger fuel tank on the Acura (~20 gallons) since the highway mileage rating is only a tick better, but real-world mileage has been a pleasant surprise for me.

And I do miss some of the storage - not necessarily cargo volume, which I rarely tested, but the larger center console box (big enough for my laptop or iPad or both) and my pet nit is no sunglass compartment in the overhead. Even my (smaller) Infiniti coupe had one.
The only thing that really bothers me is the fuel tank size... why so small? I know the Allroad B8s have the same small tank... and you would think that they would have fixed this by now... its a complaint that I heard from other B8 owners... don't Audi know that this is an annoyance?
Old 03-30-2017, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

It is my understanding that larger fuel tanks add more weight to a vehicle, which can have an impact on meeting fuel efficiency requirements. This started influencing tank capacities maybe ten years ago or more.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there's a small compartment lower left of the steering wheel
Old 03-30-2017, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by blorzoga
there's a small compartment lower left of the steering wheel
Thanks, that's the one I keep the manuals and stuff in. The sunglasses don't fit well on top of the thick manuals. I might just move those to the back, though, maybe the spare tire well since I (hope to) rarely need to refer to it.

Quick Reply: "Hello" from a newbie