A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Hot spot on transmission tunnel

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot spot on transmission tunnel

Quick question for other owners. I bought a 2017 Allroad (Prestige, warm weather package if that matters) about 6 weeks ago. In driving, I've noticed a very warm spot on the transmission tunnel next to my right leg. It gets up to about 110-118 degrees in regular (not "spirited") driving, but does vary for some reason. The spot is on the side of the transmission tunnel, about even with where the cupholders are on the top.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar or can say if it's abnormal? Thanks in advance....
Old 03-12-2017, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

You mean near the drivers side area? Not the transmission tunnel in the rear passenger area? I've done some spirited driving and some long road trips and never felt it heating up near the drivers side area. No idea about the passenger area since I've been there like twice.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, Vipin. Yes, on the hot spot, right where my right leg sometimes rests on the transmission tunnel (it's already shorts weather in California, sorry). I also had a passenger the other day and confirmed it's warm on that side, too. I stopped by the friendly dealer and have an appointment to have it checked out Thursday. I'll update when I find out what it is.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Fortunate1
Thanks, Vipin. Yes, on the hot spot, right where my right leg sometimes rests on the transmission tunnel (it's already shorts weather in California, sorry). I also had a passenger the other day and confirmed it's warm on that side, too. I stopped by the friendly dealer and have an appointment to have it checked out Thursday. I'll update when I find out what it is.
That really is weird. The only time ever felt any heat emanating from the transmission tunnel was in my diesel VW with a manual box under extreme hard driving for long hours. Do get it checked and update us.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Is the rear seat heat turned up?
Old 03-13-2017, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Is the rear seat heat turned up?
Rear seat heat affects the driver side transmission tunnel? How are they linked? I have no idea. That's why I'm asking.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Possibly the duct that carries the heat to the rear runs along the side of the transmission tunnel?
Old 03-14-2017, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by archrenov8
Possibly the duct that carries the heat to the rear runs along the side of the transmission tunnel?
Oh okay. That does make sense.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, just checked the rear seat, temp is set at 64. And it's only a hot spot on the tunnel, about 3" across on the plastic part of the tunnel. The carpet coming up the side below the hot plastic is also a little warm, but doesn't feel as warm as the plastic. That might be just insulating quality of carpet vs. plastic. The service tech I spoke to when I made the appointment (in person) thought it might be coming from the exhaust that's routed along the transmission tunnel. I'll know more after they do their thing on the 16th.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ding, Ding, Ding!

And the prize goes to Tenspeed, with archrenov8 as runner up!

Here's what I found out. The rear seat heating duct does pass along the tranny tunnel, so that's where the heat was coming from. And it's because the A/C system sends heat to the rear compartment any time the system isn't in "Synch" mode, so there's on-demand heat available to the rear whether they're calling for it or not. If no heat (or not enough) is being called for in the rear compartment, the duct gets hot.

Note that any time a front or rear passenger adjusts the temp setting, the system defaults to 3-zone, so you should re-set to the "Synch" setting after you kick their whiny butts outta your baby and lock the doors.

Quick Reply: Hot spot on transmission tunnel