A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

My B9 allroad Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Out of curiosity, does the center headrest fit in the outboard rear seats?
Old 02-13-2017, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

No, it won't fit.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by wdimagineer
No, it won't fit.
Curious, what would be the reason Audi USA would have different (higher profile) headrests than Europe?
Old 02-13-2017, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bob m
Curious, what would be the reason Audi USA would have different (higher profile) headrests than Europe?
US crashworthiness standards mandate it. Audi and everybody else would love to not have to adapt their models for sale here.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

US crashworthiness standards mandate it. Audi and everybody else would love to not have to adapt their models for sale here.
So, the USA Audi headrests are more crashworthy? I thought we lagged with updated safety features?
Old 02-13-2017, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bob m
So, the USA Audi headrests are more crashworthy? I thought we lagged with updated safety features?
It really depends on who you ask. Here in the US, the IIHS would love to tell you that their regimen for crash testing is more advanced. In Europe, I suspect EuroNCAP would have similar thoughts on theirs.

Here's the thing... the rest of the world all subscribe to a uniform system of vehicle regulations mandated by the UN. 60 countries, including the US.

However, the US is the only party to the agreement that has its own standards and does not follow them. That's why you cannot legally import a car here from overseas.

Canada has a safety act that broadly mimics the US, but Canada does allow vehicles that adhere to the international standard.

So because of our laws, Audi and everybody else have to have market-specific parts and options, which drastically increases costs and may or may not actually have an impact on safety.

Last edited by wdimagineer; 02-13-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It really depends on who you ask. Here in the US, the IIHS would love to tell you that their regimen for crash testing is more advanced. In Europe, I suspect EuroNCAP would have similar thoughts on theirs.

Here's the thing... the rest of the world all subscribe to a uniform system of vehicle regulations mandated by the UN. 60 countries, including the US.

However, the US is the only party to the agreement that has its own standards and does not follow them. That's why you cannot legally import a car here from overseas.

Canada has a safety act that broadly mimics the US, but Canada does allow vehicles that adhere to the international standard.

So because of our laws, Audi and everybody else have to have market-specific parts and options, which drastically increases costs and may or may not actually have an impact on safety.
Thanks for the detailed answer. Once extended, I can't imagine the RoW headrests would be any less safe than the USA headrests.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You may know the answer then, why does Audi replace the amber turn signals with reds in North America? Is it marketing? Ambers are most definitely legal here, and they're even showing up on some American trucks. Meanwhile, I think it's Toyota I've seen switching some models over to reds. This when ambers are shown to be the "safer" option.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Naughtie
You may know the answer then, why does Audi replace the amber turn signals with reds in North America? Is it marketing? Ambers are most definitely legal here, and they're even showing up on some American trucks. Meanwhile, I think it's Toyota I've seen switching some models over to reds. This when ambers are shown to be the "safer" option.
AFAIK, it isn't that amber is forbidden. It has to do with the US specs of how amber is allowed on the rear of the vehicle. Apparently having a strip of amber impeded in the red of the taillight is not acceptable, but having a separate amber section at the rear is OK.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
It has to do with the US specs of how amber is allowed on the rear of the vehicle. Apparently having a strip of amber impeded in the red of the taillight is not acceptable, but having a separate amber section at the rear is OK.
Ah! Thanks, found this: Preventing accidents with amber turn signals

But the stylists don’t deserve all the blame. In America, the brake light and rear turn signal must each have a lit lens area of at least 50 cm2 (7¾ in2). The American regulation calls this lit lens area “EPLLA” for Effective Projected Luminous Lens Area. This minimum-size requirement doesn’t exist outside America. It’s not such a big deal on a large vehicle where there’s plenty of space for a large rear lamp, but on smaller rear lamps space is at a premium. There often isn’t room for two lamps of at least 50 cm2, so that makes a design constraint. The solution? American regs say rear turn signals can be implemented by flashing the brake light, so the automaker needs to have only one lamp of at least 50 cm2 per side. Problem solved; the red combination brake/tail/turn lamp is legal.
...but goes on to make the compelling argument against -- the same reason I spent the money on the ROW taillight kit for my B8 allroad...

But should it be? Is it good enough? It has the safety drawback of red instead of amber. And with a combination lamp, a driver braking and signaling at the same time shows other drivers only two-thirds of a full brake light indication. A driver getting on and off the brakes while the turn signal's on creates a confusing mess of flashing red lights, and a faulty lamp takes out two crash-avoidance light functions instead of just one.

Quick Reply: My B9 allroad Build