A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

painted or unpainted fenders?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 08:32 AM
BSW
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default painted or unpainted fenders?

In truth i'd rather just not have the fenders at all (just an avant thank you) but since i don't have a choice I will go with the allroad. The fenders just seem like one more area to get wax caught up in.

All of that being said, what are people's preferences of one vs the other? I was leaning towards painted, but after i saw some in real life they seemed like more of an incidental add on than even the unpainted fenders.

Also, when cleaning/waxing the unpainted fenders, is any special treatment needed? can i wax them?
Old 12-07-2016, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

My understanding is that the standard trim painted as well. Its just not the matching body paint. So wax shouldn't hurt.

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 12-07-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with OP, would much rather have an advant over the allroad, but alas, is not to be. I have always preferred the full paint finish, but the new allroad does seem to look good with the darker colours and the grey trim.

Given I haven't seen a new allroad in the flesh, I stayed with the full finish on manhatten grey for my order. I doubt I will be disappointed, but I'll always resent paying for it and not being allowed a wagon here in USA!
Old 12-07-2016, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

My personal preference would be with the grey trim, regardless of the color. It think it gives the Allroad more character and sets it apart to a degree. But they all look good. That is one of the nicest looking grills in the Audi family.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
My personal preference would be with the grey trim, regardless of the color. It think it gives the Allroad more character and sets it apart to a degree. But they all look good. That is one of the nicest looking grills in the Audi family.
I like the gray trim on the dark paint colors, but on the light colors, like Ibis White, I find it to be too bold. I ordered Monsoon Gray Prestige without the full paint option.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BSW
In truth i'd rather just not have the fenders at all (just an avant thank you) but since i don't have a choice I will go with the allroad. The fenders just seem like one more area to get wax caught up in.

All of that being said, what are people's preferences of one vs the other? I was leaning towards painted, but after i saw some in real life they seemed like more of an incidental add on than even the unpainted fenders.

Also, when cleaning/waxing the unpainted fenders, is any special treatment needed? can i wax them?
+1 on the wish we could get the Avant.

I think the full paint choice depends on what the primary body color is. I saw the f silver with and without the full paint option and it looked great both ways, but on the blacks I only liked it one way. I decided I didn't want to pay the extra money to have the full paint option (I might have if it meant getting the bottom of the mirrors painted), so I chose a color that I liked and thought looked good with the grey trim (Matador Red).
Old 12-08-2016, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looking forward to you posting pics in Matador Red. When does yours arrive?
Old 12-08-2016, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by archrenov8
Looking forward to you posting pics in Matador Red. When does yours arrive?
Mine is in transit, and I should get it in January.

Here's a couple of quick shots I took of a Matador Red car that I test drove. The color changes a lot based on the lighting.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Very nice. I haven't seen that color on Long Island yet.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BSW
what are people's preferences of one vs the other?
I agree that I'd rather have an Avant look. With that in mind, I ordered Manhattan gray with full paint. Here's a link to pictures of that configuration (posted by AudiWorld member ht288).

Last edited by lifjoy; 12-08-2016 at 03:41 PM.