A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Tailgate issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate issues

Ok y'all, I've been having a rough go of getting the hang of the rear tailgate on this B9 allroad, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

I think the most common issues have been the following:
  1. foot detection maneuver
  2. setting the open height
  3. closing the lid from within the car
  4. closing the lid with the "convenience" key

1- The foot swipe under the bumper is tricky and a bit counter-intuitive as you have to stand back from the bumper a bit for it to work. And I do understand the logic behind it now; they want to avoid you getting smacked by the rising tailgate.

2- I think the manual has done decent job explaining the open height adjustment, but I know some people still have problems with it. Quick answer: Open the lid, let it come to rest, pull it into preferred open height, hold the lid open button on the gate bottom for 4sec. until audio/visual signal.

3- Closing from within the car. Now here's where I start to have real issues. Today, as I was getting into the driver's seat with my key in my pocket, the button for the tailgate pushed up against other keys and the tailgate open. Now, since I hadn't turned the ignition on yet, I couldn't close the tailgate with the button on the driver's side door. It's pretty annoying and seemingly unnecessary that the ignition needs to be on for this to work.

4- As for operating the tailgate with the key, it's pretty fickle and limited. It seems there are no restrictions as far as opening the tailgate from any distance or relative position to the car itself. However, closing the tailgate is a different story. According to the manual, you must be within 9 ft. from the rear of the vehicle while the car is in PARK to use the key to close it. This has proved pretty inconvenient in just my ~3 weeks having this car. There are many situations where I want to close the tailgate from anywhere but right next to the rear of the car. If I'm <9 ft. from the rear of the car, it's not too taxing to just step closer and use the foot detection or just hit the button on the tailgate itself. It only seems logical that the "convenience" key, being a REMOTE control, would allow total operation from a reasonably remote distance from the vehicle. I'm getting the OBDEleven diagnostic this week and I'll be skimming all the coding-related forums in search of a fix.

If anyone has more issues, OR INDEED FIXES for these issues with the tailgate, I invite you to share them here.

Thanks all!
Old 02-09-2017, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It would seem to be a safety issue. If you are too far from the vehicle, and you accidentally closed the tailgate, it could cause harm to someone unaware that it was closing. The assumption would be that if you are within 9' of the rear of the vehicle, you are not only aware of the actions of the tailgate, but you are in command of the safety of such action.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree with it being a safety issue.

However, I'd more expect there to be an audio warning signal in addition to the flashing lights, and a pressure-sensitive closing mechanism that avoids closing against a certain force threshold.

My wife's Highlander has all of the above and allows operation of the tailgate from any reasonable distance. It's just what I've become accustomed to and it seems really convenient. Hoping to find an override for this to make it operate more to my preference.

Last edited by _SlugBug_; 02-14-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with you. I don't get my Allroad for another two weeks. and I am very much looking forward to the power tailgate, as I use my tailgate several times a day, typically. I am an architect, so I am also shlepping stuff around that needs to go back there.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default There is one more key problem.

Just like "my key in my pocket, the button for the tailgate pushed up against other keys and the tailgate open". It happened once.

BUT, it is in a park lot 200ft away, when I am sitting in a restaurant! Trunk been opened and keep opened (who know for how long!)
Lucky, i have nothing in the car.

Second time, my key in my sport bag, it accident pressed by other objects inside the bag.
I am walking toward my car. I saw the trunk open (about 30 cars away), my notebook in the trunk !
What if, I am walking away !?!!!!

Be careful !
Old 02-22-2017, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ILAW
Just like "my key in my pocket, the button for the tailgate pushed up against other keys and the tailgate open". It happened once.

BUT, it is in a park lot 200ft away, when I am sitting in a restaurant! Trunk been opened and keep opened (who know for how long!)
Lucky, i have nothing in the car.

Second time, my key in my sport bag, it accident pressed by other objects inside the bag.
I am walking toward my car. I saw the trunk open (about 30 cars away), my notebook in the trunk !
What if, I am walking away !?!!!!

Be careful !
My experience is the Audi remotes is that that have limited range. Yes it has happened to me, the FOB is in my pocket and windows start opening because of a long press on the open key.

Haven't used it but given the key FOB signal stealing risk where someone drives by and steal your signal from your FOB, rebroadcasts to unlock and steal your vehicle, it is good to store your FOB in a "faraday cage".

A product like this
Amazon Amazon
would both protect you and prevent you from inadvertently remoting your vehicle.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
My experience is the Audi remotes is that that have limited range. Yes it has happened to me, the FOB is in my pocket and windows start opening because of a long press on the open key.

Haven't used it but given the key FOB signal stealing risk where someone drives by and steal your signal from your FOB, rebroadcasts to unlock and steal your vehicle, it is good to store your FOB in a "faraday cage".

A product like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new would both protect you and prevent you from inadvertently remoting your vehicle.
Just placed an order for the faraday cage.