A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Thinking of an allroad

Old 01-20-2017, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Q-Branch
Can I ask you (and anyone else with a prestige) about your thoughts on three things:

1) What do you think about the HUD?
2) Do you notice a difference with the acoustic glass in the front windows?
3) Is the 360º top-view camera good?

I can't find much out there on these features... My salesperson I've discussed the allroad with actually talked me out of the Prestige and Driver Assistance packages, since I'm looking at leasing the allroad and the Prestige doesn't lease well (their words, not mine). That being said, I really want the adaptive cruise from the Driver Assistance package, since I suffer from mild road rage when I get stuck following someone who doesn't use cruise control on the interstate.
I have the prestige without the DAP...

The HUD is a lot more useful than I expected. I thought I wouldn't use it and end up turning it off, but I left it on and use it all the time. Without the DAP all I get is speed, cruise set speed, and navigation. I'd think it would be even better with the DAP because then you aren't looking down to figure out what the car thinks it's doing.

I think it's hard to tell how beneficial the acoustic glass is unless you could drive them back to back in the same conditions. Even then it would probably be difficult. The car is extremely quiet, but given that most of the noise in the car is tire/road noise I'm not sure what benefit the glass is giving me.

The top-view camera is good when parking in tight spaces, or if you have a driver who's not so good a parking. It's a lot easier looking for the curb in the camera than having the passenger mirror tilted down.

Last edited by CoMeader; 01-20-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CoMeader
I have the prestige without the DAP...
I have the Prestige with DAP. I agree with all of CoMeader's comments-- particularly about the HUD, which I too have come to rely upon. The HUD helps me keep my distance from the car I'm following, tells me if I'm speeding, warns me of school zones, tells me to slow down (green shoe icon) when approaching an intersection or signal, and more.

I was expecting to rely heavily upon the Virtual Cockpit (VC), but actually use the HUD more than the VC. Although, I really like the large display of the tiptronic gears in the VC's tachometer and use that all the time (particularly when downshifting for icy or snow-covered roundabouts).

I also use the center dashboard display more than the VC, partly out of habits formed with my old Audi, and partly because I prefer CarPlay navigation/maps to the MMI versions. Fingers crossed that Apple/Audi will eventually get CarPlay maps on the VC and that those turn graphics will appear on the HUD.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Can I ask you (and anyone else with a prestige) about your thoughts on three things:

1) What do you think about the HUD?
2) Do you notice a difference with the acoustic glass in the front windows?
3) Is the 360º top-view camera good?

I can't find much out there on these features... My salesperson I've discussed the allroad with actually talked me out of the Prestige and Driver Assistance packages, since I'm looking at leasing the allroad and the Prestige doesn't lease well (their words, not mine). That being said, I really want the adaptive cruise from the Driver Assistance package, since I suffer from mild road rage when I get stuck following someone who doesn't use cruise control on the interstate.
It is true that Audi Financial sets a lower residual on Prestige vs Premium Plus or Premium. So you sort of pay twice... higher MSRP, lower residual. And the dealers probably think Prestige models are harder to re-sell. I understand that the allroad residuals are not as good as A4 sedans or Q5 SUVs. Hence higher lease payments as well.

I think allroad is a great vehicle to own long-term. Its unique but it is also a unicorn. Its value is to the beholder which are few and far between. I am intrigued by them.

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 01-20-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
It is true that Audi Financial sets a lower residual on Prestige vs Premium Plus or Premium. So you sort of pay twice... higher MSRP, lower residual. And the dealers probably think Prestige models are harder to sell. I understand that the allroad residuals are not as good as A4 sedans or Q5 SUVs. Hence higher lease payments as well.
Exactly right. My salesman told me the same thing re: leasing the Prestige vs. Premium Plus A4. Higher MSRP, lower residual. RE: HUD, I had it on my '13 Lexus GS F Sport and swore I would never go without it again, but with the comprehensive information in the VC I almost find it redundant.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

[QUOTE I think allroad is a great vehicle to own long-term. Its unique but it is also a unicorn. Its value is to the beholder which are few and far between. I am intrigued by them.[/QUOTE]

Well said.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone who answered my question!

I admit I'd much rather finance than lease, but with the way tech is evolving in cars I worry about resale value in 4 or 5 years of something like an allroad, even with the Prestige package. I'd also feel much better if Audi's full warranty ran to five years instead of four. I've had a series of unfortunate expenses since my Q5 ran out of it's warranty, which has made me wonder if I should avoid out-of-warranty ownership if I can help it, both from a financial and frustration standpoint.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks to everyone who answered my question!

I admit I'd much rather finance than lease, but with the way tech is evolving in cars I worry about resale value in 4 or 5 years of something like an allroad, even with the Prestige package. I'd also feel much better if Audi's full warranty ran to five years instead of four. I've had a series of unfortunate expenses since my Q5 ran out of it's warranty, which has made me wonder if I should avoid out-of-warranty ownership if I can help it, both from a financial and frustration standpoint.
Get auto insurance from GEICO. You can add for $30 a year a mechanical breakdown insurance that will cover most parts for 7 years / 100,000 miles. Only catch is that you must start coverage before 15 months old or 15,000 miles, and you must continue to pay for the coverage. $250 deductible. That is the cheapest extended warranty you can buy.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

What an interesting discussion this turned out to be. I had not considered the lower residual, but it presents a dilemma. I don't want a sedan and while I've loved my X3 I don't want another SUV. Allroad matches my needs to a T.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by edbrady@mac.com
What an interesting discussion this turned out to be. I had not considered the lower residual, but it presents a dilemma. I don't want a sedan and while I've loved my X3 I don't want another SUV. Allroad matches my needs to a T.
While I haven't lived with an allroad super-long term, I had a last-gen B8.5 allroad loaner for two weeks while my Q5 was at the dealer for an extended warranty engine rebuild about a month ago. Those two weeks basically sold me on the allroad as the replacement for my Q5 in the next year or so, although I do want to at least give the new Q5 and maybe a MB GLC a chance. Going to the Philadelphia Auto Show this weekend, and I'm hoping they have a display model of both the new Q5 and GLC there.

Anyway, in the two weeks I drove the allroad, it exceeded every expectation I had of it by far and compared favorably to my Q5. Fun to drive, plenty of cargo space for groceries, etc. with the back seats up, and even more space than the Q5 with the back seats down (still haven't figured out where the extra few cubic feet come from, but the tech. specs say the allroad has more room than the Q5). The only let down coming from the Q5 for me was visibility, although my loaner allroad had no backup camera or parking sensors, so that didn't help things. The height of the Q5 makes it easy to "look through" most other vehicles when pulling out of parking spaces, whereas in the allroad I could only "look through" sedans and smaller crossovers. That really is a minor complaint though, and one that is solved by the tech in the B9 allroad I plan on buying.

Long story short, if you're like me, the allroad will probably be a perfect fit for your needs like you said coming from a BMW X3. Prior to having the loaner I was on the fence about going to the wagon from the Q5, but having lived with it I was sold. I'm not super excited about the less favorable leasing conditions (Prestige or no Prestige) or higher MSRP than an equivalent Q5, but I'll just be sure to get the most favorable deal in negotiations. I think it'll be worth it to have a more fun and far less common vehicle than the Q5.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Q Branch, Thanks for the response. Helpful info for me, but you got my attention when you said your Q5 was in for a warranty engine rebuild. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of an allroad