A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

1996 audi a4 fuel pump

Old 10-29-2014, 05:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 audi a4 fuel pump

I have a 96 audi a4 I have had some problems with lately the fuel pump went out so I bought a new one drive it 2 days then it would not start back so I thought it may have had been a relay so I bought a new one of them and still did not fix problem then I bought a ignition switch and still did not fix it when car sits over night or for a little while will not crank fuel pump wont kick on I can prime fuel pump with car battery and plug it back up and it will fire up and run I have been workin on the for couple weeks now and need to get it fixed asap need help thank
Old 10-29-2014, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

this may be of interest: AudiWorld Tech Articles
Old 10-30-2014, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That still did not fix my problem I am really confused I have never seen nothing like this I am get 12 volts to relay and fuse and to the plug to fuel pump but why is the fuel pump not kicking on its brand new I have ordered another thanking maybe that I have got a bad one any help is appreciated thanks
Old 10-30-2014, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by lilmotor01
That still did not fix my problem I am really confused I have never seen nothing like this I am get 12 volts to relay and fuse and to the plug to fuel pump but why is the fuel pump not kicking on its brand new I have ordered another thanking maybe that I have got a bad one any help is appreciated thanks
Have you searched about this? Fuel pump relay?
Old 10-31-2014, 05:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by clancy
Have you searched about this? Fuel pump relay?
What do u mean search about the fuel pump relay I ordered one off Internet and still did not fix the problem
Old 10-31-2014, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default please clarify no start

What do u mean search about the fuel pump relay I ordered one off Internet and still did not fix the problem
Sorry, I missed the replaced relay. Re-reading your first post I am confused as to your symptoms. Are you saying the starter engages but the car does not catch or run? Or are you saying the starter does not operate?

If the starter engages but the car does not start due to the fuel pump not operating then search the C5 forum as well. There have been discussions about this over the last couple of years. Many similarities in the cars.

If the starter does not engage this is also a somewhat common issue. Search B5 for this.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by clancy
Sorry, I missed the replaced relay. Re-reading your first post I am confused as to your symptoms. Are you saying the starter engages but the car does not catch or run? Or are you saying the starter does not operate?

If the starter engages but the car does not start due to the fuel pump not operating then search the C5 forum as well. There have been discussions about this over the last couple of years. Many similarities in the cars.

If the starter does not engage this is also a somewhat common issue. Search B5 for this.
The starter works the car will run if u prime the fuel pump and when I say prime I mean hook the fuel pump straight to the car battery let it run and plug it back up and crank it and it will crank back but after it sits over night turn the key on and fuel pump will not kick on for some reason if u can help out with this thanks
Old 10-31-2014, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The starter works the car will run if u prime the fuel pump and when I say prime I mean hook the fuel pump straight to the car battery let it run and plug it back up and crank it and it will crank back but after it sits over night turn the key on and fuel pump will not kick on for some reason if u can help out with this thanks
So you are saying it is a fuel pressure issue?

Maybe I am alone but your lack of punctuation makes this more difficult.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The fuel pump on these cars will only prime for a couple of seconds when you first turn the key to the 'run' position from cold. Once it has done that, it switches off and will only run again during cranking of the starter and then will run continuously once the after start relay triggers - it's a safety feature.
So how have you tested the fuel pump during a cold start?

The fact that the car runs after a hotwire prime of the system is making me think you may have injector leak-down rather than a fuel pump or supply issue.
Is the car making oil?
Is there a smell of petrol on the dipstick or through the dipstick tube?

Is the engine trouble free once you get it started?

If you have injector leak-down, you'll want to fix it, as it will be washing one or more cylinder walls and thinning out the oil.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
The fuel pump on these cars will only prime for a couple of seconds when you first turn the key to the 'run' position from cold. Once it has done that, it switches off and will only run again during cranking of the starter and then will run continuously once the after start relay triggers - it's a safety feature.
So how have you tested the fuel pump during a cold start?

The fact that the car runs after a hotwire prime of the system is making me think you may have injector leak-down rather than a fuel pump or supply issue.
Is the car making oil?
Is there a smell of petrol on the dipstick or through the dipstick tube?

Is the engine trouble free once you get it started?

If you have injector leak-down, you'll want to fix it, as it will be washing one or more cylinder walls and thinning out the oil.
When turning the key on the fuel pump does not even kick on at all and I did have an injector leak on number three cylinder but I have got that problem fixed. when the car does run it runs smooth as can be its just hard to get it started in the morning or after it sits for a couple of hours. I don't really understand what it could be I have got a new fuel pump,fuel pump relay and ignition switch module. The fuel pump fuse is good. I can run a wire from fuel pump to the battery and put a toggle switch on it and it will crank up and run. But will not do it with the key is there something else I am missing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 audi a4 fuel pump