A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

1999 AUDI A4 V6 Quattro CRUISE CONTROL AND CD CHANGER ISSUES

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 AUDI A4 V6 Quattro CRUISE CONTROL AND CD CHANGER ISSUES

So to start this off I just bought this car and have had only two main issues.

I cannot get the CC(cruise control) to work and I cannot get the dash to recognize the CD changer is hooked up.

In regard to the CC, I have read over the last few days about possible issues so I did the first thing mentioned, I checked the fuse and guess what..There was none.

"Just replace it and that will fix it" I wish. I tried to replace it and the fuse wouldnt stay in. So I pulled the bottom dash off and pulled out the fuse box to see why the fuse wouldnt stay, In the Slot where the owners manual say the CC is located there was no wires going into. It's Slot 11 by the way, I am completely dumbfounded about what to do, My blinker Arm had CC on.off.resume and set but it doesn't work I need some HELP...PLEASE email me here or at pcguywilson@gmail.com

My second problem is that whenever I switch the mode button on the dash "CD" never appears, I know that it is getting power because It will eject the cartridge and I can hear it moving CDs when i push in the cartridge..ANY ADVICE WILL HELP
Old 01-19-2011, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Bad cruise controls are unfortunately really common on these cars. Could be the control stalk switches (they get dirty), control module (above the glove box), vacuum pump, actuator diaphram leaking, vent valve leaks, etc. Mine has worked for about one second in the five+ years I've had it, last non-working thing I haven't fixed yet.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pcguywilson
So to start this off I just bought this car and have had only two main issues.

I cannot get the CC(cruise control) to work and I cannot get the dash to recognize the CD changer is hooked up.

In regard to the CC, I have read over the last few days about possible issues so I did the first thing mentioned, I checked the fuse and guess what..There was none.

"Just replace it and that will fix it" I wish. I tried to replace it and the fuse wouldnt stay in. So I pulled the bottom dash off and pulled out the fuse box to see why the fuse wouldnt stay, In the Slot where the owners manual say the CC is located there was no wires going into. It's Slot 11 by the way, I am completely dumbfounded about what to do, My blinker Arm had CC on.off.resume and set but it doesn't work I need some HELP...PLEASE email me here or at pcguywilson@gmail.com

My second problem is that whenever I switch the mode button on the dash "CD" never appears, I know that it is getting power because It will eject the cartridge and I can hear it moving CDs when i push in the cartridge..ANY ADVICE WILL HELP
There's a test to check for a connection.

CD Changer Detection:

The following is the procedure on how to check if the radio detects an externally mounted CD changer.

1. Turn off radio.
2. While pressing and holding the MODE button, turn on radio.
3. The display shows CONNECT if a CD changer is connected. Otherwise it shows NO CDC. This is a display-only mode. You cannot change any settings.
4. When you are done, turn off radio, then turn it back on for normal operation

If no changer is present:

The coding for the radio is adjusted if a changer is hooked up (VAG.com), so check that first. I would grab some radio keys and remove the radio to see if the changer wires are connected at the head unit. The fact that you can eject the CD just means you have 12 volts at the changer, not that the control signals are present.

Previous owner may have had something like an ipod or MP3 interface connected and removed it prior to the sale.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by pcguywilson
The CC is pretty complicated. Follow what this guy says, to the letter. There are several systems to check, and he walks you through all of them. His tests with the multimeter are terrific.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168736
Old 01-20-2011, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I will be checking within 2 hours

Originally Posted by AudiMick

CD Changer Detection:

The following is the procedure on how to check if the radio detects an externally mounted CD changer.

1. Turn off radio.
3. The display shows CONNECT if a CD changer is connected. Otherwise it shows NO CDC. This is a display-only mode. You cannot change any settings.

The coding for the radio is adjusted if a changer is hooked up (VAG.com), so check that first. I would grab some radio keys and remove the radio to see if the changer wires are connected at the head unit. The fact that you can eject the CD just means you have 12 volts at the changer, not that the control signals are present.

Previous owner may have had something like an ipod or MP3 interface connected and removed it prior to the sale.

I will check in about 2 hours when I get ff work and let you know...thanks
Old 01-20-2011, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mtroxel
The CC is pretty complicated. Follow what this guy says, to the letter. There are several systems to check, and he walks you through all of them. His tests with the multimeter are terrific.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168736
These tests may come in handy down the line but the current problem is that where the fuse goes there is no prongs to hold it. Does anybody have a wiring diagram of what should go where fuse wise?
Old 01-20-2011, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I checked and it is saying "NO CDC"
I need to determine what I am exactly looking for now. Should I start in the Trunk or in the Front?

Pics would be great
Old 01-20-2011, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AudiMick

CD Changer Detection:

1. Turn off radio.

I need to determine what I am exactly looking for now. Should I start in the Trunk or in the Front?

Pics would be great
Old 01-20-2011, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Pics would be great