Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 255540

Default 2000 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro

I found a 2000 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro at a nearby car dealership. I wrecked my first car (Dodge Intrepid), so I'm looking for something nice & decent to get me around until I'm suppose to graduate & leave for Army Basic Combat Training - which I'll hopefully leave for next summer (2014). The Audi has a 2.8 V6, and it has 172k miles on it. Clean CarFax - no accidents. Automatic. Leather. Power everything. Sunroof. Would this be a good idea to buy? I'm suppose to go test drive it around 4PM EST on Sunday (4/7). Are there any things I should look for during the visual inspection & test drive? What are some pros & cons? Thanks everyone.
Brendon1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:21 AM   #2
Tech Guru
Account #: 43812

Look for paint work, oil leaks and trouble codes.
Find out when the timing belt was last done and when the trans fluid was last changed. If they can't show proof, expect to spend at least $1k for these two jobs, probably closer to 1500.
Carfax is nearly unless.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

2005 A6 Sedan Q 3.2 (wife's whip)
2000 A4 Avant Q 2.8 (daily driver)
1980 VW Scirocco (mid-life crisis car)
1983 Mazda RX-7 (revolutionary sports car)
2003 Mini Cooper S (just because)
1995 Mazda Miata, Superdupercharged(anti-Audi)
1999 Mazda Miata SSB (track beotch, no plate)
2003 GMC Yukon Denali XL (the anti-earth)
2004 Dodge Dakota (hey, at least it's stick and 4x4)
4Driver4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:16 AM   #3
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 219486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon1215 View Post
I found a 2000 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro at a nearby car dealership. I wrecked my first car (Dodge Intrepid), so I'm looking for something nice & decent to get me around until I'm suppose to graduate & leave for Army Basic Combat Training - which I'll hopefully leave for next summer (2014). The Audi has a 2.8 V6, and it has 172k miles on it. Clean CarFax - no accidents. Automatic. Leather. Power everything. Sunroof. Would this be a good idea to buy? I'm suppose to go test drive it around 4PM EST on Sunday (4/7). Are there any things I should look for during the visual inspection & test drive? What are some pros & cons? Thanks everyone.
What are they asking for it?

Check under the hood to see if anyone put a sticker to indicate timing belt work.

Make sure the heater blows hot and that the transmission shifts smoothly.

Check on the passenger side floor for indications of water in the cabin, stains or dampness.

Make sure all of the "power everything" work properly.

Good luck.
Huskerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:31 AM   #4
AudiWorld Uber User
Account #: 1158

The above plus check for oil leaks on the back wide of the heads where the valve chain tensioned is. Check that the PCV line (right behind the ignition coils) isn't cracked, Check the vacuum lines visible on the to with the engine cover removed. If you can log in with a VAG COM and check rediness. Many of these cars have failed the catalyst aging test (audi set the threshold too sensitive) and if the Check Engine Light is on the car won't pass smog. It's possible to clear the light for a demo, only to have it come on 30 miles later, but this will show a failure in the "rediness test". Lastly check for engine misfires. That's usually one of many minor problems that can be vexxing to track down.

These are great cars but they do require some maintenance. More than your typical japanese cars.

| 2013 S4 P+ | Moonlight Blue | Black&Silver Alcantara | Flappy Paddle Gearbox | Sport Diff | ADS | Google Nav | B&O | CF | Wireless Key | SC Badges |
Bobby Kinstle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:56 AM   #5
Tech Guru
Account #: 43812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle View Post
check for oil leaks on the back wide of the heads where the valve chain tensioned is.
One in back, one in front. ;-)

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

2005 A6 Sedan Q 3.2 (wife's whip)
2000 A4 Avant Q 2.8 (daily driver)
1980 VW Scirocco (mid-life crisis car)
1983 Mazda RX-7 (revolutionary sports car)
2003 Mini Cooper S (just because)
1995 Mazda Miata, Superdupercharged(anti-Audi)
1999 Mazda Miata SSB (track beotch, no plate)
2003 GMC Yukon Denali XL (the anti-earth)
2004 Dodge Dakota (hey, at least it's stick and 4x4)
4Driver4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2000, 28, a4, audi, belt, coil, cons, forum, placement, pros, quattro, sticker, test, timing, water